Time of year for scorpion mating?

goldsteink2002

Arachnopeon
Is there an ideal time of year for mating Pandinus and Heterometrus? Let's say there is an 8-10 month gestation period. Let's say they often give birth with the advent of warm weather. Should they be paired up now? Have I already missed the window of opportunity?

Thanks in advance.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is there an ideal time of year for mating Pandinus and Heterometrus? Let's say there is an 8-10 month gestation period. Let's say they often give birth with the advent of warm weather. Should they be paired up now? Have I already missed the window of opportunity?

Thanks in advance.
In captivity you provide the "environmental" conditions (always warm and humid) so you can choose the moment. What you are talking about is their natural lyfe cycle in nature.....

goldsteink2002

Arachnopeon
Thanks.

I keep no records and my recollection is faulty. I've had baby Pandinus and Heterometrus but I can't recall when I paired up the parents nor when the babies were born. A majority of babies were probably obtained from animals that were impregnated in the wild and were gravid when I purchased them.

You think natural cycles are unimportant? I have no reason to doubt it. My intuition tells me it could make a difference, however. I think it makes a difference with vinegaroons, for instance, but that's a different animal and mine aren't long term captives.

Thanks again,

Craig

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Craig,

I would not say unimportant. You can try to provide conditions close their natural ones i.e. rainy/ dry seasons, cold/ hot seasons.
If you keep them under the same circumstances all year round, they will give birth all year round, not in particular months.

Sorry for my somewhat clumsy explanation earlier....

Cheers, Michiel