Time between molts?

LuckyTiger

Arachnopeon
Hi! Recently I bought my first scorpion which was marketed as an emperor scorpling. I don’t know how old it really is but it’s quite small. That was a little over a month ago now and I was wondering when I should expect it to molt next? Do young scorplings molt frequently or will I be waiting a little longer? And is there a way I’ll know it’s molting, since it spends most of its time in its burrow I don’t really see it often anyways.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Time between molts varies quite a bit. Things that affect it are species, temperature, frequency of feedings, age and just genetic randomness. I'm sure with some of the fast growing species kept under optimal conditions scorplings molt every month or so when they are young, versus some extremely slow growing species that could go many years between molts. I'd say with young emperors you can expect 2-4 months between molts if you're doing everything right. I keep mine communally though so it's hard to keep track of those things so maybe someone with more experience keeping them solo can chime in.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Also keep in mind that they do not molt anymore once they reach adulthood.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
they can molt up to 7 times before they are adults. You'll know when it's due for a molt, it will look like a fat sausage with pincers at one end and a tail at the other.