Tiger wandering sling enclosure

Sophiahuling

Arachnopeon
So I’m getting a 1” tiger wandering sling in a couple of days and was wondering what kind of enclosure would be best. I was thinking a 32 oz. deli cup with holes in the side would be best since they’re so fast and seem to like more room. And maybe put a bigger hole in the top with tape over it to drop food in so there’s less chance of escape? And at what size do they need a larger enclosure? I’ve never had a true spider before or raised a sling so I don’t know much about this although I’ve raised other kinds of bugs.

Hi
Are you talking about Cupiennius salei
when you say Tiger wandering spider.
I had a microscopic sling freebie (was around 3-4mm DLS when I got it)and it grew like crazy.It moulted every 2 weeks more or less.I lost it recently due to a suspected bad moult after 3 months.
They are indeed very very fast as slings but once they settle in seem to freeze or run for cover behind its bark than bolting out. For an inch spider I will go bigger than a 32 oz deli cup.They are very good hunters.They also like to have dark spot to rest during the day as are a bit light sensitive.
If using tape be careful about the sticky bit not to be exposed trough the hole as you dont want your spider stuck to it.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Sophiahuling

Arachnopeon
Yes, it’s a cupiennius salei! thanks so much for the info. What kind of enclosure do you use for 1 inch slings?

Hi
If it was mine I will put it in a quart size arboreal setup but dont overdo the decorations on substrate level to give the feeders too many hiding spots.
Regards Konstantin

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep mine in 32 oz cups until they’re around 2” and they do just fine, just as long as they have vertical space to climb.