Tiger centipede enclosure setup?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
so I recently bought a tiger centipede. This will be my first centipede ever so I was wondering what a good set up for an enclosure would be? I use a general kritter keeper but I know that these don’t keep humidity at all really. I mostly stick to using coco fiber as a substrate. I normally mist everyday or every other day. Should I use something else like a container that keeps more humidity or would this be fine for this species?

vyadha

Arachnosquire
"Tiger" is a common name for at least a few species. Do you know the species? If not, post a few pics.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yes, what’s the species? Your care may be totally inappropriate depending on what it is.

NYAN

Arachnoking
View attachment 328756
The listing for it just said a tiger centipede, scolopendra polymorpha

In that case, your current care is totally inappropriate.

First off, stop worrying about humidity. It does not matter; substrate moisture is what you want to care about. This species comes from some pretty arid regions. You don’t need to be misting every day, or even every week. In fact, I would advise not misting at all. Misting doesn’t offer a moisture gradient because you only moisten the top layer. Just pour water into the substrate instead. You want to keep this species on the dry side. There should be some moisture at the bottom of the substrate or under a hide and that’s it. Also, don’t use coco fiber alone as a substrate material. Coco fiber alone doesn’t teally support burrowing and holds moisture too well. For this species, I recommend using sand and clay-like substrate as majority ingredients. Coco fiber and rocks/pebbles can be added as minority ingredients.

Lastly, I don’t like kritter keepers because stuff can squeeze out of the gaps in the lid. Your pede may be a bit too big for this though. Can we please see photos of your enclosure?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
In that case, your current care is totally inappropriate.

First off, stop worrying about humidity. It does not matter; substrate moisture is what you want to care about. This species comes from some pretty arid regions. You don’t need to be misting every day, or even every week. In fact, I would advise not misting at all. Misting doesn’t offer a moisture gradient because you only moisten the top layer. Just pour water into the substrate instead. You want to keep this species on the dry side. There should be some moisture at the bottom of the substrate or under a hide and that’s it. Also, don’t use coco fiber alone as a substrate material. Coco fiber alone doesn’t teally support burrowing and holds moisture too well. For this species, I recommend using sand and clay-like substrate as majority ingredients. Coco fiber and rocks/pebbles can be added as minority ingredients.

Lastly, I don’t like kritter keepers because stuff can squeeze out of the gaps in the lid. Your pede may be a bit too big for this though. Can we please see photos of your enclosure?
I should’ve specified that I don’t have it yet haha. It’s currently being shipped to me so I have some time to set up a different enclosure for it. Thanks for the info, I’ll go out and get a better type of substrate for it and look into a different enclosure. I can post pictures of what I currently have, but what would you reccomend instead of a Kritter keeper?

vyadha

Arachnosquire
If you do use a kritter keeper make sure it is at least twice as tall as the pede is long. And that there are no chances for the pede to reach the top. Kritter keepers take a bit extra attention but lots of people keep pedes in them. Not my favorite enclosure.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
If you do use a kritter keeper make sure it is at least twice as tall as the pede is long. And that there are no chances for the pede to reach the top. Kritter keepers take a bit extra attention but lots of people keep pedes in them. Not my favorite enclosure.
I’m out looking for different options for enclosures, and I’m considering buying this container and drilling small holes in the top of the lid. It has a screw on lid. Would this work well? I don’t want to take any chances of it escaping xD image.jpg

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
I’m out looking for different options for enclosures, and I’m considering buying this container and drilling small holes in the top of the lid. It has a screw on lid. Would this work well? I don’t want to take any chances of it escaping xD View attachment 328772
Of course it doesn’t really seem to have floor space and it doesn’t seem fair to the pede. The pede I’m getting is around 2 inches and I know they grow up to 6, so I suppose when I actually get it I’ll have to see how big it really is and decide then.

NYAN

Arachnoking
For a 2 inch centipede, you can use a small sterlite tub. Try to get something that locks on 4 sides and has a gasket seal if possible.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
For a 2 inch centipede, you can use a small sterlite tub. Try to get something that locks on 4 sides and has a gasket seal if possible.
Funny you should mention that, I happened to change my mind and grab literally the exact thing you suggested. I just finished setting up the enclosure a moment ago! Now I'm just waiting for the centipede to arrive. image.jpg
image.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
Funny you should mention that, I happened to change my mind and grab literally the exact thing you suggested. I just finished setting up the enclosure a moment ago! Now I'm just waiting for the centipede to arrive. View attachment 328792
View attachment 328793

The tub works good. How deep isn’t the substrate, and does it support a burrow? Also, that hide don’t work. You want something that is flat. I recommend cork bark. Make sure to add a water dish.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
The tub works good. How deep isn’t the substrate, and does it support a burrow? Also, that hide don’t work. You want something that is flat. I recommend cork bark. Make sure to add a water dish.
Gotcha, I'll be sure to switch out the burrow then. I can add some more substrate as well and I was planning on adding a water dish too. I'm going to buy a clay like substrate soon to help with the burrow, the pet store didn't have anything other than sand, so I just got some of that and mixed it with coco fiber and some soil I use for my millipedes. Thanks for all the info, I'm used to keeping mantises but I wanted to try keeping a different invert! I appreciate the patience with a new pede owner haha

Scoly

Arachnobaron
It will die in that. You need hole in the side walls. Proper holes, not like the pin pricks you have on the lid.