Thrixopelma should be everywhere

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@Paiige If you try the classifieds on this forum you may find some for sale nearer where you are located.

IMO cyaneolum is the best all rounder from the genus.

It would be ockerti if it didnt flick so many hairs and constantly have a bare behind ahah. They are interesting and quite unique semi-arboreal sp. but their constant hair flicking drives me nuts.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have not heard of nor seen Thrixopelma until now...thank you, I've just learned a few new things! It looks like all the sp. of this genus are really attractive Ts, I would definitely take one home if the opportunity presented itself. However it appears that no one else in this thread is from the US and some Google searching has only found me one 3.5" mm for sale :D So I guess we don't get them either really. I like the look of the T. ockerti slings with all their fuzz!
Thrixopelma in general can be difficult to find but from time to time they do turn up it's just a matter of having a little patience.
There are other members on here from America who have ockerti i know that for a fact as for any of the others in this genus i know members have had or do have T cyaneolum and pruriens in their collection maybe a few have lagunas also so it's proof they are out there.
The Thrixopelma sp cajamarca doesn't turn up very often at all anywhere so it's a matter of grab it while you can because it may be 12+ months before they turn up again. If you want 1 just keep searching

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I did a search for the cyaneolum after it was recommended by multiple people in this forum some time ago. I never could find slings or female here in the USA. T. ockerti is a nice looking T, but the warnings about the hair have scared me off from it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I did a search for the cyaneolum after it was recommended by multiple people in this forum some time ago. I never could find slings or female here in the USA. T. ockerti is a nice looking T, but the warnings about the hair have scared me off from it.
I think different people have different reactions from different species. I have bad reaction to Euathlus and Thrixopelma. They are still a couple of my favourite NW genera. I have kept plenty of Brachys, Nhandu etc but yet to feel a thing from them.

Ockerti is a really unique T with odd behaviour and semi-arboreal tendancies. That and the fact they look awesome is why I have kept a couple. Although my name for them is Flickopelma soitchi. The good thing about my old lagunas and my cyaneolum is that they arent nervous or skittish and would rather investogate instead of send you a cloud then run for it ahah.

I would recommend any sp. in the genus but cyaneolums size, appearance and disposition is why it is one of my favourite. :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T cyaneolum slings don't exist they just appear as adults and all female, so you can put them with unicorns and bigfoot.

Take a chance on a T ockerti it might turn out to be the opposite of everything you've heard about them we all know what tarantulas are like for confusing us keepers.
Also have a little faith and patience that 1 day the elusive tarantula will turn up

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
T cyaneolum slings don't exist they just appear as adults and all female, so you can put them with unicorns and bigfoot.
Tell me bout it. I waited yers to get one. I was looking to buy a few slings and hope for a couple ladies and a gent. No chance. Over 2 years and no slings o_O

I gave in and bought a WC female from a local reptile supplier.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tell me bout it. I waited yers to get one. I was looking to buy a few slings and hope for a couple ladies and a gent. No chance. Over 2 years and no slings o_O

I gave in and bought a WC female from a local reptile supplier.
Same thing here and about 3-4 weeks ago i had the chance to buy another adult female i almost did in the hope they had sexed it wrong

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I read somewhere that the females are slightly nomadic in the wild. Maybe this is why only see WC females.

The males are out there obviously but people must start breeding these !

Jeff23

Arachnolord

Take a chance on a T ockerti it might turn out to be the opposite of everything you've heard about them we all know what tarantulas are like for confusing us keepers.
Also have a little faith and patience that 1 day the elusive tarantula will turn up
I didn't mean to be so negative about it. There are plenty other T's that are not very available as well. T cyaneolum is still on my wish list and hasn't stopped me from buying other species in the meantime. I may one day buy a T ockerti, especially if the deal is right. I remember when I was avoiding the Brachy's because of the hair and now I have a half dozen.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't mean to be so negative about it. There are plenty other T's that are not very available as well. T cyaneolum is still on my wish list and hasn't stopped me from buying other species in the meantime. I may one day buy a T ockerti, especially if the deal is right. I remember when I was avoiding the Brachy's because of the hair and now I have a half dozen.
There's a similar reason as to why i don't own nor do i think i ever will own a T blondi.
I didn't think you were being negative it's as the old saying in this hobby goes " No 2 tarantula are the same " So if you get a T ockerti it may be a complete gem. T ockerti is on my wishlist but it's the 1 Thrixopelma i don't worry about finding as they turn up alot more often than the rest

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I like the look of the T. ockerti slings with all their fuzz!
They're very nervous and skittish, but I have never seen any sign of mine being defensive. They have a reputation for kicking hairs all the time. Mine has been very calm so far, but has a vicious feeding response. The food doesn't even hit the ground in her enclosure. She attacks the water when I fill her dish - probably because she thinks it's food. Pretty fast growing too.
She loves her cork bark and I never see her on the ground. She is always out and visible. I don't regret purchasing this species.
DSC00423-2-3.jpg

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I have never seen any other species from this genus besides T.ockerti and I rarely see those. I would buy them if they were around - I have only heard great things about them.
Sorry Vanessa I pressed disagree instead of agree. My laptop is being a pain at the moment. I agree with you though. All I ever see is T ockerti. Never seen any other species in the UK unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry Vanessa I pressed disagree instead of agree. My laptop is being a pain at the moment. I agree with you though. All I ever see is T ockerti. Never seen any other species in the UK unless I'm looking in the wrong places.
You must be looking in the wrong places I'm from the uk and I have 4 different species including probably the 2 of the rarer 1s Thrixopelma sp cajamarca above and cyaneolum

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
We only have three major dealers in Canada. They do a bit of their own breeding, but they import a lot of their stock. Often, if you're on their newsletter emails, they will ask their customers if they want to see any specific species in the imports. So, a lot of the import is driven by demand.
Sure, there are other species too, but I think that they gear the imports a lot to what their clients want - which is awesome. I just don't think there is a huge demand for them and that is why you don't see them.
Tarantula Canada stocks a lot of rarer species - some of them you don't even find in the states. I have only seen T.ockerti for sale from this genus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have not heard of nor seen Thrixopelma until now...thank you, I've just learned a few new things! It looks like all the sp. of this genus are really attractive Ts, I would definitely take one home if the opportunity presented itself. However it appears that no one else in this thread is from the US and some Google searching has only found me one 3.5" mm for sale :D So I guess we don't get them either really. I like the look of the T. ockerti slings with all their fuzz!
Ockerti are excellent "hair" kickers, just ask @cold blood , he also owned a cyano at one point too.

I'll be getting a T. cyano. no doubt.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Ockerti are excellent "hair" kickers, just ask @cold blood , he also owned a cyano at one point too.

I'll be getting a T. cyano. no doubt.
I think kicking is rather cute, at least with the smaller more docile species.

Are the T cyano really blue or do they just have that bluish sheen in photos? It seems like a lot of photos of them have a bright flash or are enhanced (assuming it's the cyaneolum you're talking about)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I think kicking is rather cute, at least with the smaller more docile species.

Are the T cyano really blue or do they just have that bluish sheen in photos? It seems like a lot of photos of them have a bright flash or are enhanced (assuming it's the cyaneolum you're talking about)
T. ockerti can grow 5+ inches and are reclusive and nervous but not super defensive.They are an intruigue(?) species. The cyaneolum stays small, is gorgeous, doesnt kick(my individual not a hair) and is always on show and very regularly roaming around active. This is my opinion though.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
T. ockerti can grow 5+ inches and are reclusive and nervous but not super defensive.They are an intruigue(?) species. The cyaneolum stays small, is gorgeous, doesnt kick(my individual not a hair) and is always on show and very regularly roaming around active. This is my opinion though.
'Intriguing' is the word I believe you are looking for :)

And good to know! Do they look bright blue when freshly molted?
And I don't mind shy/skittish Ts, I'm not a fan of super defensive ones but if they're cute enough I'll deal :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This is my old AF ockerti she kicked some hairs in transit after moving house. She was a big girl I think her last moult measured 5 y 1/4 "
IMG_1967.JPG

This is another of her IMG_1968.JPG

Here is a juv female hiding so well
IMG_1969.JPG

And here a small juv eating last night :)
IMG_2174.JPG

.. there is recurring theme ahah