Thrixopelma pruriens

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What the heck is it? What do owners think about it, etc..?
I am considering species to buy - see my "looking for..." thread, and my local store has these, so I am curious.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool species. is a dwarf. gets about 4 inches max. hair flicker. barely moist peat for substrate. and a water dish. mine does lots of cage remodeling. fun t to watch.
common name is peruvian green velvet.

so does anyone else own these little guys? i'm actually curious if anyone else keeps them.

Last edited:

chrispy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2" male . It digs around alot. I wish I had a female, the ones I have found have been pricey. I didnt know they only reached 4" . He might be maturing sooner than I thought. He has a nice greenish sheen to him.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hav one and it does a lot of remodeling too. I constantly have to dig up the dish and clean it out. They have a little attitude so be prepared. Mines about 4 inches and looks to molt again soon so hopefully I'll get a good skin for sexing. Heres mine. This was about a month ago.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 2" male . It digs around alot. I wish I had a female, the ones I have found have been pricey. I didnt know they only reached 4" . He might be maturing sooner than I thought. He has a nice greenish sheen to him.
let me know if you wanna try a breeding loan...i've got a ready female...

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've got two females, both are nice display Ts, only burrowing when they drop their sacs. A very underrated species, but an excellent addition to any collection.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine grew about 1 1/2 inch through 2 molts in a span of around 5 months. It's just under 4 inches in size now.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm actually aobut to buy one of these Thrixopelma pruriens.. wondering.. i've heard they do a lot of flicking. does that hurt? .. what does it feel like.

and are they fast? cause ive been told not to handle these guys. so how would i do tank maintenence? or even transport from buying container to its new home.

what do you guys think?

cold blood

Staff member
I have one but I haven’t seen it since a couple days after I got it. I see a whole I think it dug how long can they stay in burrows? I don’t think it’s a juvenile
There is no length of time they can stay in a burrow.

Funny though, as mine has never once burrowed or even dug a ditch...lol.....doesnt even use a hide.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I have a 2 inch female had her since she was quarter inch and she has never burrowed either but used to use the premade burrow to moult but 2 moults ago she stopped using it.

I assume your little one will come out for one of two reasons, either, 1 t gets hungry , or 2 they moult. Congratulations btw thrixopelma are a great genus, great eaters n usually visible 😆 hopefully we will come back out twice the size 🤞