• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Thrixopelma pruriens

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Breeding: Successful
Eggsac: Successful!
Slings: Pending

Any special care: Other than giving the female a large meal the night before, no.

01/12/06 Paired: I put the male directly into the female's enclosure. She's about four months out of her last molt; he's one month. She had startled me with her drumming on the glass, so I knew she was more than receptive. However the instant he was in the tank, everything stilled. She didn't drum hard again. They softly tapped the soil back and forth and he inched closer until they were about a half inch apart. Then they froze there, tapping back and forth, but otherwise not moving for almost twenty minutes. She very slowly came to him and he spent another seven minutes cautiously pushing her into position. This caution quite possible saved his life, because the very second he managed to insert, she sprang on him so hard they both flipped over. He ended up in the substrate on his back, shoving on her with all his legs while she tried valiantly to chew all over him. I got my tongs between them and they jumped apart. She ran to her hide; he ran up the nearest wall and was out of the tank in a blink. However, the pairing was successful.

I fed them both and will be attempting a second mating as soon as he builds his next sperm web. If he survives it, the lucky Romeo will be taking his act to the road.

On 01/16/06 after completing a fresh sperm web, the male was placed in with the female, but barely made it out of the confrontation alive. He's been sent on to breed with two other parties.

01/23/06 Female has begun to excavate a burrow under her flowerpot.

02/05/06 Female has completely sealed herself into her burrow. I can catch peeks of her if I look up under the tank, since she's dug all the way down to the bottom of the glass. No action yet.

02/13/06 32 days later, we have an eggsac! WOO HOO! It has been moved to the Mechanical Mom.

Last edited:

Luke.H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mated a old male with my freashly molted female about 2 months later the male sadly died of old age. Then on the 16th of january 2008 i saw her preparing to make a sack then on the17th (brothers birthday) i found her sitting on a sack Whooooooo. Yesturday 2nd of feb i decided to pull the sack because she did not seem to be looking after it properley i split the sack and poured the eggs onto a kitchen roll hammock suspended above a damp substrate in a cricks tub and put that in a warm room that is at about 25-26c.

Here are some pics:

Late Male

Mum

Mum preparing for sack

Eggs :D

Luke