Thrixopelma Ockerti

Rchocky

Arachnopeon
Hi folks,

Any advice on how to care for T. Ockerti slings? The more detail the better.

Cheers.

Rchocky

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only have larger ones. I haven't raised the slings yet. They seem to do well arboreal or terrestrial, but I think they're naturally arboreals? I was told they like it dry. As a sling Im sure you should keep the substrate moist regardless.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only have larger ones. I haven't raised the slings yet. They seem to do well arboreal or terrestrial, but I think they're naturally arboreals? I was told they like it dry. As a sling Im sure you should keep the substrate moist regardless.
I was always told to keep them moist.:?

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm confused by this too. They are deffinately arboreal and like a higher humidity. If you've got Poecis or Avics, you'll do just fine.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, I tryed mine as a terrestrial(only because that is how she was kept before I got her, and she did fine.) then I switch her to arboreal. She seems much more at ease now, and also I keep her pretty humid.

These things Kick more hair than a T. Blondi and man they light you up. very nervous species to begin with.

Good luck. They are like a super colorful G. rosea that are arboreal!(build wise)

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female stays on the ground even though I have an arboreal setup for her. My male stays up high most of the time.

I was told by some that they like it moist, I was told by some they like it dry. So... I have no idea! I kept them more humid for the first while I had them and they did fine. I now have them dry with a water dish and they're still fine.

So yeah :eek: hahaha

Rchocky

Arachnopeon
Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

It seems like such a fascinating species with a preference for arboreal or terrestrial maybe being down to personality as far as I can tell. The whole dry/moist debate is certainly interesting - the only conclusion I can come to is that it must be a pretty hardy species as it can obviously handle either.

In any case, the little guy seems really happy at the moment in a small deli-style container (the same one it came in), is eating well and seems alert and active. It's true about the hair flicking - even though my sling is about the size of a small fingernail it was kicking like crazy when I opened the tub yesterday.

I think I'm going to give it an arboreal set up when it graduates to a bigger container.

This is only my 2nd T so I'm pretty new to the hobby - I won't be going near any pokies for a while :) so once again, thanks for the help.

Rchocky