thrixopelma ockerti terrestrial or semi-arboreal?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi everyone :)
my fiance and i just couldnt resist the t. Ockerti we saw in a lps earlier, we simply had to buy it! Now i have read various things on here and googled things about their habitat, however, all i got was 1 person disagreeing with the next about whether they are terrestrial or semi-arboreal. Im just wondering if she will be happier kept like our gbb, with some climbing apparatus and the likes or just flat and shallow like a smithi. She has got the strangest behaviour i have ever seen of a t, she points her abdomen up in the air at you and follows your finger with it and the kicking hairs job to go with it. We do have an avic avic with similar behaviour when he feels like it without the hair kicking obviously. She just moulted a day or 2 ago too, so no crix for at least a week. Thanks for any info peeps :)

Mez

Arachnoknight
They are semi arboreal to cope/adapt to flooding I believe. TheSpidershop have decent info on these, and I presume that's where it came from.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
thanks every1, il keep it semi arboreal then :) it is from the spider shop. I wil post a pic later tonight when i have my laptop, and a ventral in sexing, although im sure its female. Im using mobile at the min and its hard to upload pics. Thanks for replies every1 :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ agreed. nothing "SEMI" arboreal about them. set them up just like an Avicularia.;)

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
:? wha? Thrixopelma ockerti an arboreal? In jon3800's videos i saw him keep his T.ockerti in a terrestrial setup.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
snap! Another reason i was unsure. Iv also bought a juvenile p. Rufilata before and they were keeping it exactly the same as their g. Rosea! Mind you they were also unaware of the sp, and it was marked 'ornamental' 'what type?' 'i dunno :?' thats a lps for ya. Il post pics soon, iv just glued her water dish to the side of her branch just waitin for the glue to dry, then in she goes

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
here she is in her new home

she started attacking water i was putting in, so i figured she was ready to eat after all. gave her a newly moulted cricket just to be on the safe side

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My T. ockerti acts just like the rest of my arboreals accept it puts its abdomen up in the air like an Aphono sometimes when I disturb its cage.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my female is a nut case. This species is the most nervous and skittish/defensive species I have EVER dealt with. I am not sure how people even breed this species. When I was pairing my female the male would scare the female, she freaked out started kicking, and then that freaked the male out...so he started kicking...

It was a nightmare. Gorgeous species none the less.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
mine does that abdomen thingy aswell, it looks really strange. My avic avic did it the other day too, i cant see what its acheiving by doing that, probably a better way of aiming those spiny hairs at your eyes, but the pink toe doesnt have uriticating hairs there :?