Thrixopelma lagunas or Homoeomma sp. Blue?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I't will be basically impossible to tell the difference from the 2 sp. at this stage as they look identical until adults.

Homoeomma sp. peru/blue grows larger and has a more velvety appearance with little to no red setae on the abdomen. The T. lagunas has a more shiney appearence, shows some red setae and generally maxes out smaller. The spermathcae is different too.

There used to be Homoeomma sp. 'peru' and 'peru 2'.
'peru 2' was larger but it was later found that 'peru' is now known as Thrixopelma lagunas.

There is still a lot of doubt and confusion between the 2. Some Thrixopelma cyaneolum are also mistakenly sold as lagunas.

Anyway, that said they are both great species.

klinthoris

Arachnopeon
Okay thank you so much for the info guys. I appreciate it. But is it in premolt though?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's definitely an arachnid, so you are off to a good start in pet ownership! Come back after a few molts :D

cold blood

Staff member
Generally its T. cyaneolum that gets confused with Homoeomma sp blue. Isn't lagunas more of a greenish than blue as an adult??

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Generally its T. cyaneolum that gets confused with Homoeomma sp blue. Isn't lagunas more of a greenish than blue as an adult??
I've had this very same conversation before and was informed that all three species were and still are on the odd occasion sold as each other. Thrixopelma lagunas range from a similar blue to T cyaneolum to a very dark navy blue mines sort of inbetween. From what i remember T cyaneolum was sold as Homoeomma sp small and T lagunas was often sold as Homoeomma sp large untill it was decided that there was infact 3 completely different species, i was also told (not sure if i believe this one though) apparently Homoeomma sp large as white markings almost E murinus whereas T lagunas as gold markings. As i don't own a Homoeomma sp blue i can't confirm this but i do have a T lagunas and it's stunning

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had this very same conversation before and was informed that all three species were and still are on the odd occasion sold as each other. Thrixopelma lagunas range from a similar blue to T cyaneolum to a very dark navy blue mines sort of inbetween. From what i remember T cyaneolum was sold as Homoeomma sp small and T lagunas was often sold as Homoeomma sp large untill it was decided that there was infact 3 completely different species, i was also told (not sure if i believe this one though) apparently Homoeomma sp large as white markings almost E murinus whereas T lagunas as gold markings. As i don't own a Homoeomma sp blue i can't confirm this but i do have a T lagunas and it's stunning
@johnny quango Nice pic!! and helpful! I own a T cyan. Quick question, what's the disposition on T. lagunas, my impression is skittish a bit, unlike T cyan which are like H. chilensis in terms of docile nature.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@johnny quango Nice pic!! and helpful! I own a T cyan. Quick question, what's the disposition on T. lagunas, my impression is skittish a bit, unlike T cyan which are like H. chilensis in terms of docile nature.
Hey mate you're not far off with T lagunas as a general rule they tend to be a little skittish not quite as bad as T pruriens though or a least in my experience,
Currently since her last moult mine is as calm as anything i keep but if you want a truly unique and calm Thrixopelma you need T sp cajamarca both mine are so chilled and curious it's unreal, I've never had a threat pose or skittish behaviour from either of them

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
curious, like H. chilensis, you open the top and they go on holiday unless you stop them? I only see that behavior w/ that species.
Yes exactly that kind of behaviour. The 1st time my adult female did this i was like " oh god i need my catch cup" but in truth though she went back in her enclosure no trouble, the youngest of the 2 walks out of her enclosure (was hoping for a male) and will climb on my hand if i offer it then just sort of wanders around untill i get her to go back.

It's a little strange to see a much large tarantula behave like H chilensis kinda freaky at 1st, The more i thought about it after i replied to you the more i realised my adult female pulchra behaves almost identically

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes exactly that kind of behaviour. The 1st time my adult female did this i was like " oh god i need my catch cup" but in truth though she went back in her enclosure no trouble, the youngest of the 2 walks out of her enclosure (was hoping for a male) and will climb on my hand if i offer it then just sort of wanders around untill i get her to go back.

It's a little strange to see a much large tarantula behave like H chilensis kinda freaky at 1st, The more i thought about it after i replied to you the more i realised my adult female pulchra behaves almost identically
What size do they get? That would be really odd.