three new additions

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
My husband and I recently added a MF avic metallica and MF avic utrican to our avic collecton as a freebie we recieved a sling flagstaff orange.. How in the world do we take care of this little thing?! It is so tiny. i know that they like to burrow underground but how do i get it to eat?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol keep it in a small container with enough substrate to dig but not so much surface area it won't find food. If its as small as I think it is, cricket drumsticks or a piece of a tiny cricket work well. If its big enough, a whole dead cricket will work. Leave it somewhere where it should find it (burrow entrance for instance) and it'll be fine.

Be prepared though, Aphonos can take a LOOONG time to grow. My little New River is about 1" and hasn't molted in over a half a year (last molt was last June :rolleyes:). It was about 0.25" or some ridiculous number when I got it, molted a couple of times in 6 months, and now it's stopped. Big butt, eats well, refuses to grow :eek:

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
its real tiny. its butt hs a big black spot on it now...is it going to molt soon?

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
its real tiny. its butt hs a big black spot on it now...is it going to molt soon?
Just got mine last week, also a freebie although mine is an Aphonopelma sp new river. Its colors are tan/clear body with a black spot. For food its taken anything small enough to drag into its burrow...prekilled small cricket or a large leg.

In a few years all of us who got freebie aphonopelma slings should start a thread to compare there growth rate.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww thats too bad. They're cool little spiders when they're little and beautiful when they grow up. Sorry for that :(

Rue

Arachnoknight
.... If its as small as I think it is, cricket drumsticks or a piece of a tiny cricket work well. ...
I never would have thought of that! Thanks! Good to know should I ever need it!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never would have thought of that! Thanks! Good to know should I ever need it!
For my tiniest Ts, I'll take a .25" cricket, cut it in half, and feed two of 'em. Works well though it isn't quite as cute as an itty bitty spider carrying around a huge cricket drumstick in its fangs :p