Threadlike thing on AGB, what is it?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did a recaging and my 4 AGBs are in cups and i am de-miting them. This is the second day of de-miting, and i noticed some stuff on one of them that isnt on the others. I looked at the stuff with a lumiloupe and it looks stringy, but not wormlike. It was very hard to get the pics and i wasnt able to get a sample of it. Any ideas?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine have a little bit of that, too . . . not sure what it is, but they seem otherwise healthy.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I probably should keep my mouth shut because I've never had an AGB, but I saw some in a pet store that looked like they were mating. It looked like something was going on in that area you're talking about. I could be WAY off on that. Could it have some sexual function:? . Somebody will know. I'm going to try to remember this thread and check back.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what the... no sexual fuction at all..
none of my 4 or 5 have that.. perhaps some kind of fungus??

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I probably should keep my mouth shut because I've never had an AGB, but I saw some in a pet store that looked like they were mating. It looked like something was going on in that area you're talking about. I could be WAY off on that. Could it have some sexual function:? . Somebody will know. I'm going to try to remember this thread and check back.
i'm pretty sure gala is right

look up the word crystal on here in your searches to narrow it

i believe beetleman also comments in the thread to further narrow a search

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure gala is right

look up the word crystal on here in your searches to narrow it
Wait wait...are you guys saying that you think it is some kind of dried millipede spooge???? If that is the case I am glad mine always cleaned off.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait wait...are you guys saying that you think it is some kind of dried millipede spooge???? If that is the case I am glad mine always cleaned off.
weeelllll... kinda?

i don't know if it is sperminiferous or not, but from what i remember it is like, explicitly related to mating

it looks like the density of the crystal growth diminishes with distance from the gonopod location, too

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I couldnt find anything about millis when searching with the word crystal. I am not sure about the mating of AGBs, except to leave very round feces alone.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You know, come to think of it I think I remember that post now. I still have never seen it on mine though.
maybe the conditions to crystalize like that are moderately rare. just the right balance of temp and RH.

i think it looks kind of neat

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine kept getting that, and I was mildly paranoid about fungal problems too. Makes me wonder how rare it is.

Guess it's just a sign that Joey's been doin' his thing. ;)

And if anyone's wondering, I named my male AGB after Joey Tribiani for a reason.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes unfortunately, I must inform you. It is dried crystallised milli spooge. I was not 100% sure but roachman backed me up and he IS the Man!

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a possibility that it will lay in the new substrate? I mean, from this mating.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL! Yay! Someone else with a furry milli! Mine still has it. Some days more some less. Doesn't seem to interfere with any eating or moving around.

At first we were worried it was an investation of mold but our vet did take a sample as we were assured it is not fungus or any kind of bacteria. She was not experienced with millis but it gave it look.
We did not find out what it was until I posted on here. Now I just think eeuuwww....clean it off!!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think it is quite possible, that they haven't laid yet. Also, if they're like mine, once they start mating they do it all the time! I see mine doing it just about every week! Haven't seen any babies yet, but I've heard it takes several months.

In the future, if you do decide to clean out the cage, save the substrate, and keep it moist. I read that you should keep live plants in it so the hatchlings can feed on the roots.

I ordered the book "Giant Millipedes" by O. McMonigle. I'll let you know what I think.

Why do you de-mite them? If you're talking about the fast moving mites that crawl around on the pedes, I thought that the consensus was that this was a case of mutualism (the mites clean the joints), or commensalism at worst. I've always thought it was actually something cool about these animals, like having two pets in one!

Last edited:

Voodooschaaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to say, but these "furry" thing ist definitely a fungus.
We have it in culture in a laboratory (and it grows well), because one of our users on the german board had this prob also.

Greez,
Shura and the whole bunch

aroy

Arachnopeon
Fungus

This is definitely a fungus. I am researching this fungus and could really use any information about it. It is essentially like an STD for pedes. Unfortunately it seems that it can have detrimental effects and even lead to death of the poor millipede and worse yet it can spread to others. Any pictures would be helpful as well as living or passed away millipedes. If I can get my hands on some living millepedes with this fungus I can attempt to look for ways to clear it up.

aroy

Arachnopeon
If anyone has a millipede with this or has more information I would love to hear about it. A pm would be great otherwise I keep an eye on this thread.
Thanks,
Alex