thread snake

slavestate13

Arachnopeon
I just caught one of these in my neighbors kitchen. It's back end is messed up. It was somehow pinned to a wall. I read that they eat ants and ant larvae. Any ideas on how to go about feeding this little guy? I imagine it would be hard to keep him for very long. I just want to make sure he is going to be ok.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snakes generally only eat mice, try to find a store that sells day old pinkies

slavestate13

Arachnopeon
It's a thread snake. Leptotyphlops. A mouse would eat him. I'm trying to find a place that sells larvae. Anyone know of one online?

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh, sorry I mis-read your first post, as for larvae, wax worms are commonly sold at pet stores,

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can you describe his injuries? I would see to them before trying to feed him. Once a snake has fed, it needs about 24 stress-free hours to digest, or it could regurgitate, which is bad news even for a healthy snake.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are primitive snakes,]and i believe that they have remnants of hind limbs and a pelvic girdle inside..] and are fossorial.,.you would likely have little or no luck with husbandry.
we used to catch Blind snakes in Austin on our evening walks through the neighborhood..awesome snakes!

slavestate13

Arachnopeon
Can you describe his injuries? I would see to them before trying to feed him. Once a snake has fed, it needs about 24 stress-free hours to digest, or it could regurgitate, which is bad news even for a healthy snake.
His tail end is just sort of crooked. I am going to let it go. It probably has a better chance out in the wild than in a cage

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ooh, yeah, sounds like a fracture maybe. :? Without access to a vet or professional rehabber, there's probably not much you could do for him besides keep him safe from predators for a bit. Did he seem to be moving about okay and everything?

It's also possible he was born like that, I've seen crooked/kinked tails as a birth defect in corn snakes.