Thoughts

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Hi.

First of all I send my apologies for not being on here for a while.

Secondly I would like some advice about possibly getting a Poecilotheria metallica. I have been reading up about them, both on here and also in the TKG book as well and I do think I am ready to take on the challenge lol.

I have seen a couple for sale in my local reptile shop and I am really tempted to go for it in the New Year, as I can't afford it yet due to buying Christmas presents for family etc.

Couple of questions - what can you use for an upright tube for a hide? I am thinking a cork tube but as the couple I have seen are a little bit bigger than a spiderling, where can I get one small enough to go into a small enclosure?

Any thoughts are very gratefully received and appreciated.

Hopeful T Owner

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
hello!

Well metallicas are kept like most if not all poecs.. a little more on the humid side and as you already know they need an arboreal setup. You really need to watch out for these guys because they are extremely fast and their bite is rather unpleasant to say the least.. It's hell basically. Aaaanyway.

As far as hides go, I use cork bark for my tiniest slings also.. I break off a few tiny pieces of cork bark and glue them together to form a tube.. Look at the pictures below :) That's my 1" P. miranda's home :)
DSC_0364.JPG DSC_0366.JPG

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
To be honest, if you don´t have much experience with keeping Ts, getting a "pokie" might not be the best idea...

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
To be honest, if you don´t have much experience with keeping Ts, getting a "pokie" might not be the best idea...
I just realized that everytime somebody asks for poec care, I immediately assume that they have experience.. I know I shouldn't, but it seems so logical to me.. My response to this thread is a clear indicator of that :D I was vague, but for somebody experienced, this would be sufficient :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have several arboreal tarantulas in my collection. You have to have an exo terra vertical enclosure, or make your own. I use jungle mix for the floor of all aboreals, because it holds in moisture the best of the premade stuff. It also doesn't mold like most of the other subs when moist. Piece of corkbark for them to climb and a big water dish. I mist my aboreals EVERY DAY. Just spray the side in the morning and that's it. Don't mist the whole enclosure or anything goofy. I've had my pink toes for two years, so misting every day seems to be working.

I wouldn't get that expensive of a tarantula without some time under your belt. Get a pink toe and keep that healthy for six months, THEN get the pokie. I have quite a few tarantulas and my smaller pink toe is one of my very favorites. Fuzzy black with cute little pink feet :)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't get that expensive of a tarantula without some time under your belt. Get a pink toe and keep that healthy for six months, THEN get the pokie. I have quite a few tarantulas and my smaller pink toe is one of my very favorites. Fuzzy black with cute little pink feet :)
I kinda agree but pokies are much easier to care for than avics. At least they are way more resilient.. The only problem is the speed and venom potency.. I would say that despite a more potent venom than avics some Psalmopeous Ts are the best transition to arboreal..

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

Thank you for all of the replies.

I actually do have 6 T's so far and 2 of them are Avics (1 is a sling), 1 is an OBT and I've also got a B.Smithi, B. auratum and a G. pulcheripes (sling).

I was just wondering if the care might be different for the Poecilotheria metallica.

Ledzepplin - thank you for the photos and advice about creating a small cork tube for an arboreal spiderling. I will definitely remember to get that sorted before I do go for the Pokie.

Hopeful T Owner xx

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
An OBT would make the transition to a Pokie easier. If the OBT is a large juvi/adult that is, and if you have had gone through rehouses with it, I think.

Since you've been a long time member, I assume you have researched the forum about care, venom potency and such?

Not sure about the Exo Terra @Rittdk01 recommends being a good enclosure since it has that screen top.