Thoughts on this enclosure?

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
So, Gabriel, Jacobi, and my semi local dealer have been using cereal containers with excellent results. Therefore, I gave it a try. Haven't bred yet. Part of my love for the hobby is not just caring for these fascinating creatures, but building homes for them. I want to know other's thoughts about this idea. We're talking no tarantula has been housed in one of these builds (personally). I have no issue with thinking of something and scrapping it if someone with more experience says "bad idea". Also, if you're not a fan of the housing at all, you won't like this. My thoughts are: even if they're arboreal and they're prone to burrowing, once they are out of that stage (2"-2.5"). Would this work? Thanks for the feedback. 20161105_214904.jpg 20161105_214916.jpg 20161105_214920.jpg

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Looks good to me! I use a container somewhat similar but shorter, more of just a general food container. My GBB is kept in there :D
What's the tape for though?

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I thought of this due to my 2 1/4 inch P. metallica spazzing everytime I feed or water it. My subadult P. miranda and regalis just calmly go to their hide and wait.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Looks good to me! I use a container somewhat similar but shorter, more of just a general food container. My GBB is kept in there :D
Not sure of his exact reasoning, but I'm guessing it's to keep light out so the T doesn't web up the container wall. That way he can see in the burrow if he peels back the tape.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What is the hide made out of and is that double sided tape squares on the inside?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I thought of this due to my 2 1/4 inch P. metallica spazzing everytime I feed or water it. My subadult P. miranda and regalis just calmly go to their hide and wait.
Oh man. My P. metallica sling does the same thing. Every time there's the slightest disturbance it spazzes and does a lightning fast lap around its enclosure (32oz deli) before disappearing into its hide. My P. regalis sling, on the other hand, just goes straight into its dirt curtain pretty calmly.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
received_554646524743549.jpeg Also, this setup with the tool that my semi local breeder uses makes herding the tarantula and maintenance a breeze. Saw this firsthand, when my son was like "show me this and that". Great guy that handled them with sniper like precision.

Last edited:

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
interesting, I'd have to see how that all works.
First time I saw it, it was very neat. You can remove bolus for the front by opening the hinged flap and using long tweezers. Any maintenance in the back, just pull the top, herd them out (they'll chill on the side), and herd them back in when finished.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
The tape is so the tarantula has a nice dark hide. I guess the reasoning behind it is to simulate a hole in a tree. The tape stays in place. Usually the tarantula is out, but can feel safe and secure when necessary.