Thoughts on Temperament

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I was telling a coworker today about my G. Rosea not fitting the normal description of a docile tarantula, and he made a point to me that I found somewhat intriguing. He said, that perhaps the reason some people get these odd ball G. Rosea's that are meaner than heck, is possibly the law of averages, given the sheer number of them floating around in the hobby (he doesn't have or plan on having any T's, but I'd explained the whole shebang to him... our jobs pretty boring...) Which brought to wonder, what factors contribute overall to the temperament of a given species of tarantula? I mean, nothing can be 100% true 100% of the time, but what are some of your reasonings behind the way a given species might act? I can see plenty of reason for a tarantula to be mean, given the environment some live in, but what I can't see, is any reason for a relatively low stamina, and very identifiable target to be docile towards some moving object 400 times it's size..

Any thoughts?

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No normal population is genetically homogenous, and something as complex as behaviour is not going to be controlled by just a single gene but rather a synergystic combination of multiple genes, with multiple alleles in the wild population. Consequently, the genes that control where the thresh hold is for regarding some external stimuli as a threat/annoyance are going to have a multitude of possible permutations. Evolution has selected for the most common permutations to be "docile" but that doesn't mean that "aggressive" permutations aren't also possible from the same genetic toolset. Even something as nasty as Usambaras have their "calm" ones.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
No normal population is genetically homogenous, and something as complex as behaviour is not going to be controlled by just a single gene but rather a synergystic combination of multiple genes, with multiple alleles in the wild population. Consequently, the genes that control where the thresh hold is for regarding some external stimuli as a threat/annoyance are going to have a multitude of possible permutations. Evolution has selected for the most common permutations to be "docile" but that doesn't mean that "aggressive" permutations aren't also possible from the same genetic toolset. Even something as nasty as Usambaras have their "calm" ones.
My thoughts exactly. Very well put!