Thoughts on substrate for jumping spiders?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
I've been caring for my first jumping spider, Ichabod, for about two weeks. I've been doing a lot of research. Many sites I have visited have suggested that beginners avoid substrate. Can anyone elaborate on why that is? The only issue that I've had so far is that I have had to take the enclosure apart once to find a mealworm that burrowed in the substrate. Is there anything else that I should be aware of? Is there a better option than substrate for her enclosure? If so, what?

Attachments

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of beginners make their substrate too wet and end up with stifling conditions because many of these enclosures don't have a ton of ventilation. Just a guess.

Generally it's best if beginners start very simple, and people tend to want to overcomplicate stuff. The more factors you add, the more can go wrong. There's nothing inherently wrong with having substrate in a jumper enclosure.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
This is a micro Zilla enclosure. Should I add more ventilation? Anything I should add or change?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
I read that after misting the water should evaporate within about 30 minutes if there is adequate ventilation. So far, it seems to be evaporating well.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I read that after misting the water should evaporate within about 30 minutes if there is adequate ventilation. So far, it seems to be evaporating well.
For species that don’t need high humidity, substrate isn’t required but I personally like the idea of having a soft cushion for them to land on if they fall. For species with high humidity requirements, it’s important so that it holds moisture and keeps it humid. I’ve never heard someone say substrate is bad for beginners. As long as you don’t make it a muddy puddle it should be ok. As for the enclosure, the Zilla Micros are infamous for having large holes they can escape through. I hope you were able to cover all the escapes. As for the ventilation, I have one of these enclosures in a box so I’ll go check.

The vents aren’t the largest, but they are on both sides. So I think it should be fine. Your is audax right?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
For species that don’t need high humidity, substrate isn’t required but I personally like the idea of having a soft cushion for them to land on if they fall. For species with high humidity requirements, it’s important so that it holds moisture and keeps it humid. I’ve never heard someone say substrate is bad for beginners. As long as you don’t make it a muddy puddle it should be ok. As for the enclosure, the Zilla Micros are infamous for having large holes they can escape through. I hope you were able to cover all the escapes. As for the ventilation, I have one of these enclosures in a box so I’ll go check.
Yeah, I worry about her falling so I want something soft there for her. I had a paper towel but I think the substrate is working out okay. I've read that some keepers use moss or coco fiber. I don't know anything about those. What are your thoughts?

I was nervous about purchasing my micro zilla enclosure because I read so many reviews about escaped spiders. I ended up purchasing it because I wanted something inexpensive and a decent size. I figured I could modify it easily. I secured the walls with a couple drops of hot glue just in case the rubber bands loosen up or give way. The only hole large enough that I can find where my spider might escape is by the bottom of the door. I just cover that up with post-its when the door is closed. I would love a tarantula crib but they';re too expensive for me right now. In the meantime, this seems to be working okay for me so far, but do let me know if you have any concerns or suggestions. I am still learning.

The vents aren’t the largest, but they are on both sides. So I think it should be fine. Your is audax right?
Yep. She's pretty small and spends most of her time at the top. I can drill more holes in though if you think she'd be more comfortable.

Attachments

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Yep. She's pretty small and spends most of her time at the top. I can drill more holes in though if you think she'd be more comfortable.
Coco soil is a great substrate and that’s what I use. It holds moisture well, and is mold resistant from what I’ve heard.

The ventilation should be sufficient for Audax. You can drill if you want, but I don’t think it’s needed.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
Coco soil is a great substrate and that’s what I use. It holds moisture well, and is mold resistant from what I’ve heard.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

The ventilation should be sufficient for Audax. You can drill if you want, but I don’t think it’s needed.
@Nicole C G What types of enclosures do you use for your jumpers? I do plan to upgrade eventually or maybe get a second one.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
@Nicole C G What types of enclosures do you use for your jumpers? I do plan to upgrade eventually or maybe get a second one.
My jumping spider is in this modified display case I bought off Amazon. I recommended the same to my sister. The one with the orange flowers is my sister’s.
She has a Sub adult Eris militaris male (grow to about 8mm)
And I have a penultimate(?) Platycryptus undatus (grow to about 11mm)
Their enclosures work great for them. 5ECF8939-C096-451F-B9D5-D0A80BE62785.jpeg 4973F911-D329-4AA2-93ED-2123BE3B315A.jpeg 848CBB1E-7123-4565-AA39-7EC9756BD9B3.jpeg
They are a a bit smaller than the Zilla Micros. But they are inescapable which is great for small ones. We put mesh on top of the vents so the fruit flies wouldn’t escape, and because we were worried the spiders could get through the vent when they were younger. They never did though. It only has one vent though, but it’s big enough that ventilation isn’t a problem, because they don’t need much humidity. I do mist a bit extra when they are in pre-molt though. I use distilled water for them, for two reasons. First is that there aren’t as much chemicals compared to tap water, And second it doesn’t have residue so it doesn’t fog up the enclosure walls.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
My jumping spider is in this modified display case I bought off Amazon. I recommended the same to my sister. The one with the orange flowers is my sister’s.
She has a Sub adult Eris militaris male (grow to about 8mm)
And I have a penultimate(?) Platycryptus undatus (grow to about 11mm)
Their enclosures work great for them. View attachment 409155 View attachment 409156 View attachment 409157
They are a a bit smaller than the Zilla Micros. But they are inescapable which is great for small ones. We put mesh on top of the vents so the fruit flies wouldn’t escape, and because we were worried the spiders could get through the vent when they were younger. They never did though. It only has one vent though, but it’s big enough that ventilation isn’t a problem, because they don’t need much humidity. I do mist a bit extra when they are in pre-molt though. I use distilled water for them, for two reasons. First is that there aren’t as much chemicals compared to tap water, And second it doesn’t have residue so it doesn’t fog up the enclosure walls.
Very nice enclosures! I love the flowers in both of them!. I have been using distilled water too since I had some in the house. I also have some water conditioner that I use for my betta fish. Is that okay to use with tap water for spiders? I was thinking of trying that when I run out of distilled.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Very nice enclosures! I love the flowers in both of them!. I have been using distilled water too since I had some in the house. I also have some water conditioner that I use for my betta fish. Is that okay to use with tap water for spiders? I was thinking of trying that when I run out of distilled.
I’ve heard people use the purifier. :) probably good

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
I’ve heard people use the purifier. :) probably good
Good to know! Also, thank you for all the help you've given me. I'm new to keeping a jumping spider and joining this message board has been such a great experience. I'm learning so much!