Thoughts on P. Sazimai Molt?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm looking for thoughts on this molt. I'm leaning female. Also, when do these guys start to show color? Mine is about 1.5" DLS now and is still not showing any color. If it turns out to be an LP... :rage:

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine were brownish until they hit about the 1.5-1.75 mark. They would still appear to be be brown in normal lighting, but would pick up a bluish hue under a flashlight. If you're not seeing it yet, I'm guessing that you can expect some blue after its next molt. :)

Not sure about the sex from that pic...sorry!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The exuvia needs to take up a lot more of the photo for us to have a chance at sexing it.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
The exuvia needs to take up a lot more of the photo for us to have a chance at sexing it.
This was as close as I could get without the camera losing focus. :( If you zoom in on the picture, I pretty sure that is a small flap between the first set of book lungs I can see.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
This was as close as I could get without the camera losing focus. :( If you zoom in on the picture, I pretty sure that is a small flap between the first set of book lungs I can see.
What camera are you using, out of curiosity? Depending on what kind it is, you may be able to get something like a +2 to +5 achromat to screw on the front of the lens, which will let you get much closer without losing focus.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
What camera are you using, out of curiosity? Depending on what kind it is, you may be able to get something like a +2 to +5 achromat to screw on the front of the lens, which will let you get much closer without losing focus.
I took this picture with an iPhone and a Vivitar macro lens attachment. If I had the money, I would own a DLSR [one day].

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I took this picture with an iPhone and a Vivitar macro lens attachment. If I had the money, I would own a DLSR [one day].
You might want to consider something like this, as it's far cheaper than a DSLR: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNYXQHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N535TKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a thread about it here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/playing-with-the-usb-microscope.294914/

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I second what @Tomoran said. Mine are both about 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 inch both are basically still brown but the larger one had a noticeable amount of blue when she first molted this last time. It faded back to brown with a slight blue tint under the right light after about a week.

I kind of see that flap you are talking about but honestly I can't say for sure.. If it is there it's damn near translucent still.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That's ok if it's only molts your photographing and other microscopic subject matter, DSLR's are fantastic cameras for all levels of skill, from amateur to professional, quality pictures every time, some times I'm just too lazy to get mines out for 1 -2 pictures...lol

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
That's ok if it's only molts your photographing and other microscopic subject matter, DSLR's are fantastic cameras for all levels of skill, from amateur to professional, quality pictures every time, some times I'm just too lazy to get mines out for 1 -2 pictures...lol
Right, this would be a cheap and convenient way to photograph and sex molts. I do have a DSLR, macro lens, and ring flash, but setting it all up to photograph a molt is much less convenient than the USB microscope (and far pricier.)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Right, this would be a cheap and convenient way to photograph and sex molts. I do have a DSLR, macro lens, and ring flash, but setting it all up to photograph a molt is much less convenient than the USB microscope (and far pricier.)
I don't see the logic here, why buy a USB microscope if you have a DSLR camera and macro lens, which can do the same job, seems a waist of money JUST TO SEX MOLTS.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't see the logic here, why buy a USB microscope if you have a DSLR camera and macro lens, which can do the same job, seems a waist of money JUST TO SEX MOLTS.
What's easier:

A) Getting the DSLR out of your camera bag, attaching the macro lens, attaching the ring flash, making sure the flash battery/camera battery/memory card are ready to go, setting up a tripod, mounting the camera on the tripod, turning the 3 tripod knobs to frame the molt, focusing, setting the self-timer to avoid camera shake, chimping at least once at the start to check that your exposure is decent, taking out the memory card, putting in the PC's card reader, copying the files to the PC, doing post-processing on the RAW files, and exporting files as JPEG. Taking everything apart and putting it back where it was.

B) Reaching for the microscope, plugging in the microscope, positioning distance as needed, focusing, and clicking the mouse to create a finished JPEG. Unplugging microscope and setting back where it was.

Obviously, B has a lot more appeal, assuming the results are similar. This is why the cell phone has replaced most standalone electronic devices...convenience.

Also, most people don't have DSLRs at this point. So my suggestion of a $35 microscope is for them. It would be stupid to tell them to go get a DSLR, macro lens, tripod, and ring flash JUST TO SEX MOLTS when something cheap and easy is available.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
What's easier:

A) Getting the DSLR out of your camera bag, attaching the macro lens, attaching the ring flash, making sure the flash battery/camera battery/memory card are ready to go, setting up a tripod, mounting the camera on the tripod, turning the 3 tripod knobs to frame the molt, focusing, setting the self-timer to avoid camera shake, chimping at least once at the start to check that your exposure is decent, taking out the memory card, putting in the PC's card reader, copying the files to the PC, doing post-processing on the RAW files, and exporting files as JPEG. Taking everything apart and putting it back where it was.

B) Reaching for the microscope, plugging in the microscope, positioning distance as needed, focusing, and clicking the mouse to create a finished JPEG. Unplugging microscope and setting back where it was.

Obviously, B has a lot more appeal, assuming the results are similar. This is why the cell phone has replaced most standalone electronic devices...convenience.

Also, most people don't have DSLRs at this point. So my suggestion of a $35 microscope is for them. It would be stupid to tell them to go get a DSLR, macro lens, tripod, and ring flash JUST TO SEX MOLTS when something cheap and easy is available.
I'm not talking about other people I'm talking about people with a DSLR camera, I don't need to go through all the processes you've mentioned when I use my DSLR with macro lens. A USB cable straight to laptop and that's it done and dusted. No need for a tri-pod the shots are as sharp as you would need.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
some times I'm just too lazy to get mines out for 1 -2 pictures...lol
I rest my case. You like convenience just as much as the rest of us. The microscope is much more convenient.

I still don't know why you're even doing this. The OP said he did not have a DSLR, so I recommended this to him. You're mad that I have both? Is that it? How does this affect your life?

Xafron

Arachnosquire
Before I bought my four inch P. sazimai, I attempted to buy one at two inches. She was showing plenty of color at that size.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I rest my case. You like convenience just as much as the rest of us. The microscope is much more convenient.

I still don't know why you're even doing this. The OP said he did not have a DSLR, so I recommended this to him. You're mad that I have both? Is that it? How does this affect your life?
Whoa cool it, I have a DSLR camera, big deal, all I meant was if you have one then there's no need to go and buy a microscope, I rest my case, your life has no interest to me, why would you think it did....I'm doing this because you kept on and on as well. Over and out.