Thoughts on my Roach Chow?

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Here's what I found in the store. I know some guys on the threads have a similar mix...this was on sale for about 3.50 IMG_20160925_073540113_HDR.jpg IMG_20161016_092243968_HDR.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What you've got there is darn near pure fiber. It's terrible feed.

Unmedicated chick feed. Not chicken feed, chick feed. It's very high in fat and protein for obvious reasons. You can buy a 25lb bag from Purina for about $10, and that's the expensive stuff. Pig feed works as well, but you will have to grind that up before giving it to your roaches which is obviously a hassle.

No matter what feed you choose, sprinkle a good amount of sugar into it. The sugar makes them go wild for the feed. And if you're trying to get your colony to reproduce, then feed an orange every so often. Something about orange makes them breed quicker.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
It isn't my exclusive feed. I use carrots or iceberg lettuce for hydration and fish flakes. So I offer a variety.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It isn't my exclusive feed. I use carrots or iceberg lettuce for hydration and fish flakes. So I offer a variety.
Even with all of that, there is very little protein or fat in their diet. That should be your main goal, not much else.

I've personally never understood fish flakes as food. It's so ungodly expensive compared to other (better) foods.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
You get protein and fat as well as amino acids for absorption from fish flakes. On the surface it seems like a nice additive, not an exclusive diet. They do seem to eat it up and I don't have any die offs in my current colony just yet. Wasn't sure about the Muesli which is why I asked. I might just take you up on the chic feed. Sounds like a real bargain.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Any thoughts on this? It was a suggestion from a guy in the pet store. He said that dry dog and cat foods have ground up bones to help build calcium. Suggested that this might be a good alternative. It's like a sausage. IMG_20160924_183436283_HDR.jpg

Caseypm

Arachnopeon
I've read some mixed reviews on animal protein for feeder roaches. Supposedly it increases the uric acid the roaches metabolize. I can't vouch for if this is true or hypothetical though. I have a big dubia colony as well as a growing colony of lateralis roaches and I personally avoid it just to be on the safe side haha. Plus the chic feed is way way cheaper, like 25lbs for $9.50. They have organic options for about $20 or so for 25lbs as well. That'll last a big colony a good while. If that food is easier for you to come by though it probably wouldn't hurt.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I've read some mixed reviews on animal protein for feeder roaches.
Some say it's bad for the roaches, however many of the veterans of the hobby have fed dog food as the staple diet for their roaches for over a decade with no ill affects whatsoever. Now, it may not be the best thing to feed to a feeder colony just because I've heard the stuff can cause gout in lizards, but the roaches don't seem to to mind it at all. Of course you should offer veggies and fruits from time to time, and it doesn't hurt to use different sources of protein and grain from time to time to vary their diet, but it's been proven that roach colonies generally do not suffer from a staple diet of dog food, if over a decade of roach culturing has taught us anything.