Thoughts from a total arachnophobe, who decided to buy a spider

I could also use an opinion here, should I upload more videos about my tarantula/reptiles?

• Yes - I subscribed! I want to see more!

• Yes

• No - I don't really have an opinion

• No

• Maybe - I'll check out your channel and then decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
My Opinion Of The Honduran Curly Hair Tarantula
(A report from a total arachnophobe, who decided to buy a spider)
By Skittle Bunny

I remember a time when I would squeal at the sight of a furry eight-legged creature, jumping out of my skin and running to the nearest close-able door. It was only about a year ago I really began to learn about the creepy crawlies.

My own personal interest in the hobby began with an accidental venture to the "weird" side of YouTube, where I watched a video of a large tarantula chewing into the hand of a person. Despite being totally freaked out, it led to me watching tarantulas hunting, (I especially love the one of the Chaco golden knee taking down a mouse) mating, being handled even. With my Interest peaked, I longed to own one of my own. I loved the idea of having a pet that would make other people say "omg". After months of research I decide on the curly hair tarantula, seeing people handle them on YouTube and even wanting to try this myself as crazy as it sounded at the time.

After finally mustering up the courage to close the sale at LLLREPTILE's website, I was shipped 1 baby savannah monitor, (I am very educated in the care of these animals) and 1 curly hair tarantula after 3 days of eager waiting. Un-boxing them was a breeze, incredibly fun not to mention. As I put my tarantula in it's new enclosure I was very nervous, but I handled the situation well for someone who is very afraid of spiders to say the least.

After a few months of owning this tarantula I can say I do love watching it roam about, and it has only kicked hairs at me once. I haven't yet gotten the courage to handle it, as I've seen some brave hobbyists do. I do have this to say, actually owning a tarantula is far, far more different than what I imagined it would be. I am happy I made the Curly hair choice as it has been a beautiful experience so far. I am less afraid of spiders now knowing the gentle side of the eight-legged furballs. I think this is an amazing thing to gain from tarantula ownership.

The tarantula has yet to molt in my care, but when it does I will be looking for help determining the sex of the spider. I do wish to breed Curly hair tarantulas (for starters), as it looks incredibly fun and rewarding in so many ways. As I am new to this hobby I could really use some friends that have this in common with me, no one that I know in person is into animals like I am and I think the online community is awesome, I am just unsure on
how to become a part of it.

If you would like to see the un-boxing video the link is here
((
))
If you would like to see upcoming videos of the tarantula or other animals, keep my channel in mind (or subscribe)

What's your reason for being a part of the hobby?
What is your first experience with tarantulas?
What do you think is the best part of the hobby?

Thank you for reading, god bless.

Skittle Bunny

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
By Skittle Bunny

I remember a time when I would squeal at the sight of a furry eight-legged creature, jumping out of my skin and running to the nearest close-able door. It was only about a year ago I really began to learn about the creepy crawlies.

My own personal interest in the hobby began with an accidental venture to the "weird" side of YouTube, where I watched a video of a large tarantula chewing into the hand of a person. Despite being totally freaked out, it led to me watching tarantulas hunting, (I especially love the one of the Chaco golden knee taking down a mouse) mating, being handled even. With my Interest peaked, I longed to own one of my own. I loved the idea of having a pet that would make other people say "omg". After months of research I decide on the curly hair tarantula, seeing people handle them on YouTube and even wanting to try this myself as crazy as it sounded at the time.

After finally mustering up the courage to close the sale at LLLREPTILE's website, I was shipped 1 baby savannah monitor, (I am very educated in the care of these animals) and 1 curly hair tarantula after 3 days of eager waiting. Un-boxing them was a breeze, incredibly fun not to mention. As I put my tarantula in it's new enclosure I was very nervous, but I handled the situation well for someone who is very afraid of spiders to say the least.

After a few months of owning this tarantula I can say I do love watching it roam about, and it has only kicked hairs at me once. I haven't yet gotten the courage to handle it, as I've seen some brave hobbyists do. I do have this to say, actually owning a tarantula is far, far more different than what I imagined it would be. I am happy I made the Curly hair choice as it has been a beautiful experience so far. I am less afraid of spiders now knowing the gentle side of the eight-legged furballs. I think this is an amazing thing to gain from tarantula ownership.

The tarantula has yet to molt in my care, but when it does I will be looking for help determining the sex of the spider. I do wish to breed Curly hair tarantulas (for starters), as it looks incredibly fun and rewarding in so many ways. As I am new to this hobby I could really use some friends that have this in common with me, no one that I know in person is into animals like I am and I think the online community is awesome, I am just unsure on

((
))
If you would like to see upcoming videos of the tarantula or other animals, keep my channel in mind (or subscribe)

Skittle Bunny

By Skittle Bunny

((
))

Skittle Bunny

Well first of all, id like to criticize the general tone of your, i know, lovely vicarious post of someone new.
The general flavor of what you have wrote, and based on using "gentle giants" and "brave hobbysts who handle their t's",
Implies two things

1 - you are going to handle your t

2 - you heighten those that do

Do not handle your t, they are for watching, anyone that debates otherwise, well, im ready for you. :)
You do NOT need to handle a t to cure your arachnophobia, you need only take care of one.
That said i see the effort in your videos, i encourage you to make more.

Oh and your questionnaire

1. Arachnids allow me to put a piece of my life within them, all of my pets do, therefore allowing me to escape reality at will, and shapeshift into their essence via replacing water dishes.

2. Zoo

3.best part, uhh, being able to see a primordial fear of humanity in all its glory, pretending your spider is aragog because it lives for 30 years.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do not handle your t, they are for watching, anyone that debates otherwise, well, im ready for you. :)
You do NOT need to handle a t to cure your arachnophobia, you need only take care of one.
That said i see the effort in your videos, i encourage you to make more.
Yeah, that. I'm not quite as ready for an internet punch-up, but handling tarantulas isn't really necessary, and not altogether advisable.

I get where you're coming from, though. I was always interested in bugs and other animals, but when I was wee I used to be scared of even the tiny spiders you get in the UK. (Didn't help that my dad thought he was hilarious, chasing us with them) But I got into exotic pet keeping with snakes, salamanders, phasmids etc., and tarantulas weren't far behind. Fear turned into morbid fascination turned into fascination. There's an answer to your first question.

1. Fascination.

2. Curly hairs. ;)

3. See answer 1. Perhaps also interacting with and caring for a small, unusual, spider-shaped piece of nature.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Question: do you plan on feeding your tarantula live mice in your future videos, since that was the video on youtube that you especially loved?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I should've made it more clear in the post that I never plan on handling it, due to the fear of them (though I did want to before actually owning one) but I do think they are beautiful. Feeding live mice is something pretty risky and a curly hair tarantula could probably handle a pre-killed small prey item such as a mouse, feeding live is something I wouldn't do with a smaller sized tarantula such as my own and probably not at all, as I wouldn't risk my tarantula being injured for entertainment purposes. Thank's for reading and responding! :)