Those Evil Mites...

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
I have a young Pandinus cavinamus that i recently noticed had a bad mite infection. Ive been doing everything i can to prevent mites, as i lost a very beloved P. imperator to them, but somehow they just infested his entire enclosure. Ive sanitized the enclosure and have been keeping the little guy in a small deli cup with paper towels and a water dish, which i am keeping in a warm, dark, quiet place. Yet to my dismay, everytime i check on him, he is literally crawling with the little pests. Does anyone have an idea of how to remove mites from a scorpion directly? He's about 2" right now, and he is a fiesty little guy who really doesnt like being handled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
I don't know if it really works but, someone said it to me, but it was for tarantulas.

Put your scorp on paper towels with a water dish and put a dead cricket in a corner of the enclosure. The mites will go on the cricket to eat it and you will remove the cricket with the mites (few days later). Do it until there is no mites, it can take a few weeks but you have nothing to lose.

I hope that I will help you.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I have heard that you can remove them with little tweezers or suffocate them with a small drop of glycerin or nail polish. Be sure that you don't get any near the scorpion's spiracles or chelicerae.

To make sure you don't get mites or mold, clean the cage thoroughly and remove dead prey. Make sure you have good ventilation. Find out what else you need to do to prevent mites or mold. Good luck!:)

Also, if you are wondering how the mites get into the cage in the first place, they are usually carried into the enclosure on prey animals, especially crickets or cockroaches.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This topic comes up every month or so on here. If you search this forum section, you will find pages and pages of information, debate, etc.

You have a few options, and there is not consensus on the best one.

Check it out and read up.

I would also look in Tarantulas section as well.

Good luck!

*Edit* Make sure to sanitize all tools, clothes, and take a shower, before moving onto your other cages. Or do contaiminated cage last, then sanitize. Don't spread 'em!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Freeze the entire set up

This is what I do after my tarantulas eat. First, I take the tarantulas out of their environment for the night. Second, their hold enclousures that they live in I freeze it for the hold entire night. Third, the next morning I take their enclousures and let it thaw out so when I come home from work I put all my tarantulas back in their environment. Ever since I have started to do this I have not had a problem with mites. This helps on cost by changing their environmet. So if you have to buy a freezer that is big enough to put what ever amount of enclosures you want, I would do so.

Jose Berrios
Exiskeleton Invertebrates

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
Thanks, i appreciate all the help. to do with all the cleanliness problems, i have decided im gonna try some isopods in the tank along with all my other humid jungle species. I will definately do a little more research though. Thanks! :D

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Isopods help delay the need to change your substrate but do not eliminate the need to do so.

Find the best solution for mites is to dump the old substrate and put in new.

For infestations on your scorpions... think the only option is the paper towel method mentioned above.

I would really keep an eye on your scorpion.... sucks losing them to mites, but as soon as they're in their lungs its game over in my experience (which is limited lol)

Good Luck and keep at it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buy predatory mites, species like Hypoaspis miles or likewise. They will feed on the parasitic mites.
I have no idea where you could buy these in your location, so do a Google search.....