Those darn crickets

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Ive got a potential problem with a cricket I gave my 1" M. balfouri sling.
The cricket may have been a tad too large and possibly gone down into the spider's burrow. I'm suspecting this because the sling is never out once the sun comes up and he's been sitting at the base of his burrow all morning like he doesn't want to go back in. Never saw it eat the cricket either.
What do you guys do in this situation? I really don't want to tear open it's den if I don't have to.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If your T is behaving like that then there is a good chance that the cricket has chased it out. All the M.balfouri slings I have raised so far have always preferred to be in their hide/burrow rather than out in the open.

If it were me I'd carefully remove the T and then try to run the cricket out of the burrow with a piece of broom straw.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do you guys do in this situation?
I consulted some NASA scientists first on this one because it seemed like a tough, and thought provoking situation.

They recommended removing the cricket. I say just blow up the container w/ TNT and hope for the best!

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I consulted some NASA scientists first on this one because it seemed like a tough, and thought provoking situation.

They recommended removing the cricket. I say just blow up the container w/ TNT and hope for the best!
Sounds sketchy... tell you what, give 'er a couple test fires on some of your T's first, then get back to me with the results :D
On a more serious note, to clarify, I was asking about methods of removing cricket without destroying burrow.