Feedback This website is difficult navigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
The objective statement for this forum couldn't be further than the truth. People in these forums are more rude than helpful. I've never experienced any other website forum that was filled with more exclusionists than this.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Which objective statement are you referring to? Could you be more specific as to how you find it difficult?

As for users being rude or exclusionary, that is entirely subjective and you're entitled to your opinion. If you find anything that breaks our rules, report the content and we will investigate.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Which objective statement are you referring to? Could you be more specific as to how you find it difficult?

As for users being rude or exclusionary, that is entirely subjective and you're entitled to your opinion. If you find anything that breaks our rules, report the content and we will investigate.
Read some you find one

Last edited by a moderator:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Your post title says:

This website is difficult navigate.

Though what you are intent to say is:
People in these forums are more rude than helpful.
First, let’s go back to your original question.

I do not know if you already know, but there is SEARCH function you can utilize. It is extremely helpful, and you can find almost every answers to your question.

70691C08-4F55-43F9-9320-2ACB4FB6AE88.jpeg

2A5DA940-F823-47E3-9C82-290024409B2F.jpeg
96F6EBD7-1172-458E-A80C-15998E4412EE.jpeg

Second, it’s not that people here are rude, but people here at least to expect any person to research, and search before ask any questions. In fact, people here are extremely helpful, and you will not find any helpful source than this site. Though to answer every questions that’s asked previously so many times already is something you should think about first.

Third, it’s an live animal we’re talking about here. You should know what you are getting into before you get / purchase / adopt one. It’s very life depends on you, and you alone. Let’s be responsible for the sake of the live animals by researching / knowing / studying them.

Finally, keep in mind for all of these, and go back to your original post, then try to be understandable why people reacted the way they did. You will totally get it.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Your post title says:

This website is difficult navigate.

Though what you are intent to say is:

First, let’s go back to your original question.

I do not know if you already know, but there is SEARCH function you can utilize. It is extremely helpful, and you can find almost every answers to your question.

View attachment 401852

View attachment 401851
View attachment 401853

Second, it’s not that people here are rude, but people here at least to expect any person to research, and search before ask any questions. In fact, people here are extremely helpful, and you will not find any helpful source than this site. Though to answer every questions that’s asked previously so many times already is something you should think about first.

Third, it’s an live animal we’re talking about here. You should know what you are getting into before you get / purchase / adopt one. It’s very life depends on you, and you alone. Let’s be responsible for the sake of the live animals by researching / knowing / studying them.

Finally, keep in mind for all of these, and go back to your original post, then try to be understandable why people reacted the way they did. You will totally get it.
I've kept Tarantulas for 30 years. A sling is a vial of dirt hole sometimes you put a vertical piece of wood in the vial.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I believe he's referring to this, but my ability to read minds is notably poor.
Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for invertebrate hobbyists of all types!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe he's referring to this, but my ability to read minds is notably poor.

The the stated purpose includes both so-called rude and so-called polite peeps- thus the statement you quoted is in fact true- it includes people of all types. 😀

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
"Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for invertebrate hobbyists of all types!"

I read 'invertebrate hobbyists of all types' as keepers of all types of invertebrates, e.g. T keepers, scorpion keepers, marine copepod keepers, annelid worm keepers, and so on. 'Types' is being used as an adjective that modifies 'invertebrate', not 'hobbyists', since the type of invertebrate is relevant, but the type of person would less appropriate to make explicitly relevant in a statement of purpose about a forum that covers all types of invertebrates. This reads the statement not strictly grammatically, but more so conceptually -- that is, what makes the most sense for it to mean.

Which would substitute in more accurately?

(a) "Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for keepers of all types of invertebrates, from spiders to isopods"
or
(b) "Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for all types of people, from church ladies to knife-wielding maniacs, who happen to keep invertebrates"

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
"Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for invertebrate hobbyists of all types!"

I read 'invertebrate hobbyists of all types' as keepers of all types of invertebrates, e.g. T keepers, scorpion keepers, marine copepod keepers, annelid worm keepers, and so on. 'Types' is being used as an adjective that modifies 'invertebrate', not 'hobbyists', since the type of invertebrate is relevant, but the type of person would less appropriate to make explicitly relevant in a statement of purpose about a forum that covers all types of invertebrates. This reads the statement not strictly grammatically, but more so conceptually -- that is, what makes the most sense for it to mean.

Which would substitute in more accurately?

(a) "Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for keepers of all types of invertebrates, from spiders to isopods"
or
(b) "Arachnoboards.com is the Internet's largest forum community for all types of people, from church ladies to knife-wielding maniacs, who happen to keep invertebrates"
Arachnoboards.com is the internet largest forum community for a select few of tribal click hobbyists that are not welcoming to beginners.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Well, horses to water anyway. I (we) tried.

As Hemingway wrote (in his preface to "Short Stories", after listing places that he found good for writing):
“Some other places were not so good but maybe we were not so good when we were in them.”

Good luck.

Last edited:

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Well, horses to water anyway. I (we) tried.

As Hemingway wrote (in his preface to "Short Stories"):
“Some other places were not so good but maybe we were not so good when we were in them.”

Good luck.
I like the quote. It's quite applicable. I got so frustrated with the help contact. I just didn't feel she was trying to help me.. Then I got little to no helpful answers to my thread. Just <edit> reactions that I became abrasive. I'm over that spell. I found a simpler forum and posted the tarantula I wanted to sell without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Arachnoboards.com is the internet largest forum community for a select few of tribal click hobbyists that are not welcoming to beginners.
I find this statement utterly hilarious, and horribly untrue, because, as a beginner myself, I've found the people on this forum to be immensely helpful and welcoming. I've asked a few dumb questions in an attempt to understand something I found while searching, or to get clarity on something I'm doing in my own husbandry, and those questions were answered with tact and I found them quite helpful. The one time I was doing something pretty wrong, which was using an enclosure far too large for the spider I have in it, I was very bluntly told by @viper69 "Do it SMART - use a smaller setup." Instead of being offended by his blunt response, I took it as him caring more about the animal than my feelings - which is an extremely valid and respectable mindset to have. If I screw up, it's the animal that suffers, not me or any other keeper. See the screenshot of exactly what viper said:
1634572415241.png
Sure, I could have taken it as viper calling me stupid based on his emphasis on the word "smart" but all arguing with him about his tone would do is alienate me from a forum of people who know better than I do and, sorry, but I also care more about my animals than my pride. He is more than welcome to come in and correct me if I'm wrong on my assessment and he actually was calling me stupid - but I read it more as "That enclosure isn't the best for your T, it would be smarter to get a new one for it." So I did.

If someone is rude to you, it's probably because you did no research on the tarantula that you brought home and they're tired of seeing T's kept in crummy conditions because someone impulse bought an animal - or you were rude first. If someone is blunt with you, it's because they care about the animal and don't see a need to beat around the bush with niceties when a simple, short reply gets the point across clearly and much faster.

Finally, let me reiterate my previous sentiment one more time.
I care more about my animals than my pride. You should try that mindset sometime before complaining about a group of knowledgeable people who only want to help keep inverts alive, healthy, and thriving instead of in the hands of irresponsible keepers.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
I find this statement utterly hilarious, and horribly untrue, because, as a beginner myself, I've found the people on this forum to be immensely helpful and welcoming. I've asked a few dumb questions in an attempt to understand something I found while searching, or to get clarity on something I'm doing in my own husbandry, and those questions were answered with tact and I found them quite helpful. The one time I was doing something pretty wrong, which was using an enclosure far too large for the spider I have in it, I was very bluntly told by @viper69 "Do it SMART - use a smaller setup." Instead of being offended by his blunt response, I took it as him caring more about the animal than my feelings - which is an extremely valid and respectable mindset to have. If I screw up, it's the animal that suffers, not me or any other keeper. See the screenshot of exactly what viper said:
View attachment 401908
Sure, I could have taken it as viper calling me stupid based on his emphasis on the word "smart" but all arguing with him about his tone would do is alienate me from a forum of people who know better than I do and, sorry, but I also care more about my animals than my pride. He is more than welcome to come in and correct me if I'm wrong on my assessment and he actually was calling me stupid - but I read it more as "That enclosure isn't the best for your T, it would be smarter to get a new one for it." So I did.

If someone is rude to you, it's probably because you did no research on the tarantula that you brought home and they're tired of seeing T's kept in crummy conditions because someone impulse bought an animal - or you were rude first. If someone is blunt with you, it's because they care about the animal and don't see a need to beat around the bush with niceties when a simple, short reply gets the point across clearly and much faster.

Finally, let me reiterate my previous sentiment one more time.
I care more about my animals than my pride. You should try that mindset sometime before complaining about a group of knowledgeable people who only want to help keep inverts alive, healthy, and thriving instead of in the hands of irresponsible keepers.
There are fewer facts than interpretations. Experiences vary.. I also didn't receive any notifications he even made that comment. A tarantula sling is a worrisome expensive dirt hole. I care about my spiders too. If I didn't I wouldn't have asked. I've kept tarantulas for 30 years. No one including you shared anything knowledgeable.

You want to help tell me how to delete this thread so I don't have to hear anymore unhelpful commentary. That would be great. Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.