This pet store...a question not a review.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.eastbayvivarium.com/pricelist/invertebrateslist.html

Well, I decided to check my local reptile/inverti dealer...well like the largest this side of the mississipi...and I went to the inverts price page...anyone see anything weird?

I am going to call later today and ask why I see what I see...plus they are sold out of my A.versicolor and I would prefer to support a local company instead of online...unless they really are sold out, but the webmaster has been gone for the site, so hopefully this is old inventory.

Neway do you see what I see that seem's wrong?

http://www.eastbayvivarium.com/pricelist/invertebrateslist.html

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
It seems like they have a VERY limited list of critters
and one spelling error:D

I would call them and plan to visit.
I still think its best to check the place out, you never know what
you will find.:confused:

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Going back and REALLY looking...............:eek:
I'd say they don't know their T's from their spiders :rolleyes:

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
whats that "geniculataseemani"? A.geniculata with A.seemanni in her stomach? =D

I won´t even try to guess what "hatian stripped knee tarantual" might be =D

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I've been to EBV before, and they have a nice place with very well-kept critters.... all that being said, the price list makes it seem like the store is being run by rednecks who never made it to high school. Did they check the spelling of ANY scientific names before putting out on the web?

Just goes to show that if you're going to put yourself on the Internet, you'd better do it right. That, and if you're going to cater to serious hobbyists, you'd better at least give them a scientific name that's spelled correctly. ;)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i agree, in the reptile world, EBV has a fantastic reputation. i would email them about the pricelist and see what's up. who knows...but i hear the place is fantastic, very well-kept.

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats the freakin Arizona Wolf Spider?:? common house spider?:?

i tried to see if they had a care sheet on it, but the page wont open up..
i can make out most of them.. but ive never heard of a Gramnastole cala, only a G. Rosea, is that a real spider / tarantula?

Ian

Last edited:

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
Going back and REALLY looking...............:eek:
I'd say they don't know their T's from their spiders :rolleyes:
That's what I was waiting for....

but NO i have no complaints about the EBV I have purchased from them before, very knowledgable staff, and they are where I buy my crickets (so far no infestations!!!) knock on wood. But yeah I am going to call at 11am and see if they have and A.versicolor slings or juv's. On the home page they say the webmaster is gone, so hopefully they have new T's in...and I would be very comfortable buying from them...its a well run store especially for the size of it.

A little story. I bought a Australian Blue-Tongued Skink and an Albino corn snake from them...i owned both for about 5 years...then I was forced to get rid of the animals...and I called the Vivarium back and they were more then happy to take the animals back (for no money of course, but i know they would be taken care of).

So you won't find me complaining...I just need to go in and suggest they have someone else work on the invert website section and get some scientific names, and help them figure out the Spiders from Tarantulas :D=D

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
but ive never heard of a Gramnastole cala, only a G. Rosea, is that a real spider / tarantula?
from what i understand G. rosea used to be broken up into a few different Grammastolas. then it was decided they were all one species with different color morphs.

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Still cant believe the spelling they have for there spiders.."Gramnastole"..
But, How long ago was the switch to them being the same spider with diff morphs?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The EBV is great, but...

The individual they have doing their website knows very little about inverts, at least the spelling of their names.

I once submitted a whole revised and correctly spelled list for them (I know the owners, have been friends with some of them for 20+ years) ... But the page never got updated with my corrections. That was about a year or more ago.

Anyway, you have a PM, AllenG. ;)

bill

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
did anyone happen to see the "Edible Thai Tiger Earth Spider"??
how do you cook those up?:?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's a C. paganus/longipedum. Nothing to write home about. They get the common names from importers, which of course can be quite creative at times.

bill

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been to EBV numerous times over the years and I must say I have never seen a more colorful and personable bunch of people working in any retail business before, those of you who have been there will know of what I write. :D
another reptile store in the greater bay area to check out is:
www.petacularexotics.com it is in Antioch, I have not been there yet. I met the owner at the frog day event in San Jose.
Ed

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wait..

maybe Jacen was RIGHT and this mystery T made it down from Kamloops and is now working as a web master for EBV...

wouldn't be that bad of a job.. i bet he'd get first dibs at the pretty girlie Ts around there ;)

pce
dave

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't been to the vivarium for awhile, but they usually seem to have the A. versicolor every time I go. Sometimes they even have sub-adult A. versi and A. avic. The last time I was there, they had a good number of interesting T's.

I like the staff too, they are knowledgable and very helpful. I usually try to deal with Cliff, one of the owners, he is great.

I gave up on the website a long time ago, it's better just to call and see what they got.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
....did anyone happen to see the "Edible Thai Tiger Earth Spider"??
how do you cook those up?

I saw it :D

I think you fry them, ack! LOL!
SICK but funny at the same time=D

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah i called yesterday, no versicolors...so i sent my order through another dealer online, and will get him/her on friday...WOOT!!!! I took work off just so I could put my tent up on the lawn by the front door and wait!!!!

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been there too, I've gotten four of my Inverts there. Very cool & dedicated bunch of people. Aboutwhat bill said earlier about the person who runs the Site being "inefficient" He's right. But this is a great place & I definitley reccomend visiting it for those who can.

Aloha,

Ben