this is weird

jawlessemu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
today i housed my two deathstalkers together. one is an adult and one is a molt away from adult. when i placed them together them began mating. im not sure if mating was successful or not but there is a spermataphore on the mating surface. so do you think a female can become gravid before reaching maturity? and if so will there be any harmful effects from this mating?

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i believe I heard they can get pregnant as subadults and carry on the embryos to their final molt.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I have heard what Aztek somewhere else too, but I can't find anything to back it up. It would not surprise me if it were true. Let us know if she pops before molting in to maturity.

I've also heard of tarantulas making sacs before they reached their "full grown" size... (yes I know their mating is completely different, I was just saying, a male wanting to mate with a not fully grown female applies to another invert species)

Let us know how it turns out!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I have heard what Aztek somewhere else too, but I can't find anything to back it up. It would not surprise me if it were true. Let us know if she pops before molting in to maturity.

I've also heard of tarantulas making sacs before they reached their "full grown" size... (yes I know their mating is completely different, I was just saying, a male wanting to mate with a not fully grown female applies to another invert species)

Let us know how it turns out!

ts grow till they die so... i think we dont know enough to say what adults are...even in our own species

Skywalker

Arachnopeon
It's the first time I hear about this and honestly I doubt it. :D Males do not mate with subadult females, at least mine never did and I have tried it with a few species. (Tityus falconensis, Grosphus limbatus, Grosphus madagascariensis, some Parabuthus species)

It would be great if you guys could dig up papers or references.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have seen mine attempt to mate with immature females, but never seen a spermataphore left behind. I think they approach, attempt to mate, and then realize she is immature and run off.

Thongy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen mine attempt to mate with immature females, but never seen a spermataphore left behind. I think they approach, attempt to mate, and then realize she is immature and run off.
they dont want to be pedophiles

jawlessemu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also is there any records of gestation time for these guys? i searched for it but couldnt find anything

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also is there any records of gestation time for these guys? i searched for it but couldnt find anything
Most Buthids are 4-5 months +/- 2to 3 months, I think LQ is a little longer I will check my books.

:)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gary Polis' book The Biology of Scorpions (the veritable scorpion Bible) says gestation of 6-8 months, litter size 12-17.