This is odd...

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, as some of you may know from my other posts, I've been waiting for my seemanni to moult. She's been topside for about a week and a half (which is amazing to say the least), and spinning her little web mat.

I went to look at her this morning to see if she finally did it, and I saw something a little odd. Her "mat" was in the corner of the tank, and it looks like she was rolling it up into a semi-circle around her. Dirt is rolled up in it pretty well, and it looks almost like she's building a wall around herself...or it could be a crop circle, depending on how ornate it gets =D

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? It's kinda weird.
I'll try to borrow the digital camera from my boss and post pics.

N.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Perhaps, as we are providing an environment vastly different from their natural one, they are creating NEW behaviors to adapt? But then, who really knows EXACTLY what they do in their natural environment. Maybe what yours is doing is often done in the wild and we don't know it!

The eternal queston: WHY DO TARANTULAS DO WHAT THEY DO?

P.S. Good luck with the molt.... she's going to be so puuuurrrrrty!:?

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That almost sounds like she is making an eggsack, but I don't know if this is a possibility (?) Could also be that she wants to molt super-comfy...
greetz,
Joost

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
being gravid was my first thought....Are you sure its a she? Or is that just what you say?

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my c. cyan has done the same thing (without the moult). she's taken the webbing on the ground and rolled it into a "speedbump". it's very cool. the speedbump goes along her web structure.

i don't think there's a method for her madness, besides maybe aesthetics.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
That almost sounds like she is making an eggsack, but I don't know if this is a possibility (?) Joost
This was my thought, too. Is the spider a recently acquired WC?

Joy

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She is certainly not gravid. I've had her for a while now (nearly 6 months), and she's not seen a male under my keeping. As far as I know she hadn't seen a male before I bought her, either.

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, even though I feed the hell out of her, she hasn't molted at all in the 6 mo. I've had her. She's just about fully grown, so this doesn't shock me at all. It could be some weird pre-molt thing she's doing. Like I said, there's no way she's gravid...

N.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
No, even though I feed the hell out of her, she hasn't molted at all in the 6 mo. I've had her. She's just about fully grown, so this doesn't shock me at all. It could be some weird pre-molt thing she's doing. Like I said, there's no way she's gravid...

N.
Are you 100% sure, tarantulas often take a long time to make egg sacs after breeding. I had a Eupalaestrus campestratus give me an egg sac after eight months in my care with no breeding what so ever.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a B. albopilosum drop a sac a year and a half after mating. If your spider is wild caught (most adults in the trade are), there's still a good possibility ofgetting a fertile sac. Even if she hasn't mated, there's the possibility of an infertile sac.

Wade

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Are you 100% sure, tarantulas often take a long time to make egg sacs after breeding. I had a Eupalaestrus campestratus give me an egg sac after eight months in my care with no breeding what so ever.
Well, even so, she was captive bred. And although I think the guy I got her from was a choad, I don't think he would be dumb enough to sell off a gravid female. And if he did, I can sell the offspring :D Either way, I still don't think she's gravid.

N.