this is not good, i need help

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i checked on my H. maculata last night, the one with an eggsac. her abdomen looks like a raisen. its all shriveled and wrinkled and is about the size of the eraser of a pencil. i dropped a pinky in there hoping shed eat it but she didnt. i misted the plastic by her so she could drink, but this morning its still the same, and when i checked her she was on the ground. she quickly jumped back to the sac when she noticed i was there. im afraid shes going to die. its day 17 since the eggsac was laid, i was planning on taking it around day 30 or 35. should i take it now so shell eat and drink, or is this normal for a mother tarantula? this is my first eggsac, any input would be great.
thanks

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok i misted the plastic again, and she drank some out of the beads of water, but i still need input on whether i need to take the sac or not. thanks

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is there a waterdish? There should be, so she can drink anytime. Barring that, keep misting daily off to the side away from the eggsac. You can also try dropping in a cricket and seeing if she'll go for that. I don't know that maculata is especially interested in pinkies...

But good luck - mommy spiders sometimes do look the worse for wear when doing the eggsac thing. I wouldn't worry too much.

bill

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is there a waterdish?

yes there is a large waterdish kept filled to the brim. its just outside the web fortress shes in. as far as the pinky thing goes, the last meal she ate before laying the sack was a small rat pup. i dunno, guess ill pull the pinky and toss in a cricket, but i get the feeling shes not leaving that fortress for anything.
thanks

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HI,
i would'nt take the eggsack for 20 to 25 days after she makes.
i don't try to feed my mommies till after she's been with the sack for 2 weeks.then i feed crickets.crickets can get into the fortress.
i've never bred H maculata before though.
i have a P regalis with eggsack now. i plan to take the eggsack at 25 days
Hope this helps
Bryan

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe wound the cricket and use tongs to put it where she can reach it better?
Like, right under her nose.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
should i take it now so shell eat and drink, or is this normal for a mother tarantula? this is my first eggsac, any input would be great.
thanks
Congratulations on the eggsack! If the momma wants to eat or drink, she will, and the eggsac won't hold her back from doing it. IME, most tarantulas will ignore food for a time after making an eggsac. As Bill said, make sure she has a full waterdish available to her at all times, offer her some food. Make sure she's nice and warm and cozy, in the 80's if possible. The less commotion and disturbances the better. Arboreal tarantulas, as a group, are generally very good parents, and I doubt you would have to remove the eggsac if you didn't want to. Tarantulas make very good mothers, for the most part. Just don't be surprised (depending on the type of container you're keeping her and the eggsac in) if and when a hundred little het macs appear all over your walls and ceiling, somehow mysteriously escaping the confines of their keeper!! =D =D =D

Usually when they first hatch, they stick around the area where they hatched for a couple weeks, usually being mammas web retreat. Slowly they venture out to explore their surroudings. This gives you time to notice them before they disperse, if you're lucky!

:D

Best of luck with your H. maculata momma and her little 'uns!

Take care,

Paul

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my H.lividum is the same, her rear is smaller than that of my male a.avicularia :p

shes fine though, she wont leave her nest so relies on water that seeps through the soil :S

i think your best bet is to cover it with a black sheet and put it somewhere quiet so it wont be disturbed often