This is my Aphonopelma seemanni tank!!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Mainly new soil, native plants and a real animal skull that was bleached then cleaned. View attachment 483413
A. seemanni are fossorial so way more sub than what you have in there.

Too much clutter and live plants are unnecessary.

Start Here:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Visually great work

BUT sure looks like your T will die- see above
And they burrow- need to redo entire setup

Also crix will hide very easily - your T could die from that alone

Arachnid Hunter

Arachnopeon
The light was just for the picture also I think my T is at least 4-5 inches. And I did a setup like this before and she liked it and wasn’t stressed it had to redo the setup because I didn’t have spring tails in the tank originally and mold grew in the tank. There is no mold now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The light was just for the picture also I think my T is at least 4-5 inches. And I did a setup like this before and she liked it and wasn’t stressed it had to redo the setup because I didn’t have spring tails in the tank originally and mold grew in the tank. There is no mold now.

It's larger I see now. what's the distance from sub height to lid? Like I said it's a nice looking setup, reminds me of PDF setups

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
spring tails don’t necessarily cause stress or not cause it. My desert blonde & a few Lasiodora parahybana
tank is too dry for them. Check distance the post above ⬆ says before a fall happens.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
A. seemanni are fossorial so way more sub than what you have in there.

Too much clutter and live plants are unnecessary.

Start Here:
Aphonopelma seemanni are fossorial, but not obligate burrowers in the context of captive care. Many tarantula species common in captivity of the genera Grammostola, Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Tliltocatl, etc. are fossorial, but do just fine with something to hide in or under. A. seemanni will do just fine without the ability to burrow, so the choice of furnishings comes down to whether one would like to see more natural behavior from the tarantula, or have something pretty to look at. The best caging configuration would account for both.

Visually great work

BUT sure looks like your T will die- see above
And they burrow- need to redo entire setup

Also crix will hide very easily - your T could die from that alone
This is incredibly dramatic and just not true. The caging as shown in the picture won't kill the tarantula.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemanni are fossorial, but not obligate burrowers in the context of captive care. Many tarantula species common in captivity of the genera Grammostola, Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Tliltocatl, etc. are fossorial, but do just fine with something to hide in or under. A. seemanni will do just fine without the ability to burrow, so the choice of furnishings comes down to whether one would like to see more natural behavior from the tarantula, or have something pretty to look at. The best caging configuration would account for both.

This is incredibly dramatic and just not true. The caging as shown in the picture won't kill the tarantula.
dramatic- a subjective term, death is not.

The OP did not provide the size of the specimen when I had replied, hence my reply.

Last edited:

Arachnid Hunter

Arachnopeon
Also one of you guys mentioned PDF setups what does that mean exactly? Just curious cause I’m not new to the hobby just curious. Okay sorta new to the hobby.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
I like your viv although I would have used sub to fill the bk of the burrow rather then wood and made a hill but each to their own 🤷🏻‍♀️.
I like to use lots of cover too I find my t's sit out more when I have it . You have to watch to make sure they get their food but I like to do that anyways , I don't believe in flinging food in and wandering off or just shutting the lid n moving on to the next t , I like to know/see my baby's are eating well part of the fun of keeping for me.

You will probably find most of the plants will die off without a cleanup crew, lights ect, they will mould and get disease and your seemanni will pull them up or dig out roots, but your pics do look lovely and your t looks gorgeous, I love the clovers 🍀 sets her off beautifully. There is nothing wrong with wanting a viv that's still nice to look at when your t is hiding .(90% of the time with seemanni in my experience 😆.) Gl to you both 😊 I look forward to future pics 😉

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Just gone off n watched some of your uploads and saw that viv properly, please that viv was way to humid for her! Seemanni do not need that sort of humidity! It will kill her. Seemanni do get a wet season but nothing like that plus outside there is sufficient air flow there is next to non in that viv plus she needs more sub it looks deeper on your pic then on the vid , she needs a good 5 inches not 2/3 inches. Please use the top search bar to research your t watch Tom Morans upload on them and rethink that viv.
I am all for a pretty viv but not at the expense of the tarantula.