This is interesting....

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wandering spider leads Mazda to recall 65,000 cars

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_mazda_recall

This is crazy:

" The company said Thursday a spider could weave a web in a vent connected to the fuel tank system and clog up the tank's ventilation. Pressure on the fuel tank could lead to a crack, causing fuel leakage and the risk of a fire"

Rue

Arachnoknight
What's more interesting is that they have 20 reports...:?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Yellow Sac spiders????? :?:?:?

I would want to see concrete evidence of this...

Sac spiders make only a paper-like cocoon to rest in. They hunt actively at night, making no webs. They will return to the cocoon after hunting.

That would have to be a VERY small area for a Sac spider to block airflow.

I don't know... that's just weird... :? (IMHO)

S.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just read this same story over at MSNBC. Man, spiders get blamed for everything!

I dunno Silberrucken, say the vent tube was about the thickness of a pencil, if the spider built its little coccoon right at the opening of the hose I bet it could block airflow enough to cause problems.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just read this same story over at MSNBC. Man, spiders get blamed for everything!
This is well known. Spiders did kill Alexander the Great, Caused Mt. Vesuvius to erupt at Pompeii, were actively part of the JFK assassination, and now are linked to 9-11.

Now there is current black ops missions showing a direct link to the uprisings in the Middle East.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
My friend sent me this article today I thought it was a joke...but its not April 1st yet.
{D
I have a Mazda 6 and I did have some spider friends hanging out in the passenger vents But the fuel system.....:eek:
I am not taking my car in for inspection! I do not trust anyone but myself to touch my vehicle; I even grind my teeth when I have to get tires put on. Hand torque my lug nuts!! I am especially not taking it in to chase down a spider.
YOU hear that Yellow spiders your welcome in my Mazda!!! Zooom ZOOOm
Who wants to go for a car ride???:D
Who wants to call shotgun?{D
This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me how the hell is a retrofit spring going to deter a spider? By crushing it to death?:wall:
And would gasoline not kill the spider?:?
When it gets warmer I will check the fuel system but so far my car has not burst into flames. It is interesting to note that on this car it does have a pressure sensitive emergency fuel cut off.
Ah well I'm a crazy female driver so if I keep running into things like trees and such I am sure It will knock the spiders loose.{D:D;)

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow I think you are right!

Spiders can be cheeky little buggers... {D

This is well known. Spiders did kill Alexander the Great, Caused Mt. Vesuvius to erupt at Pompeii, were actively part of the JFK assassination, and now are linked to 9-11.

Now there is current black ops missions showing a direct link to the uprisings in the Middle East.

Elithial

Arachnopeon
That's just.....haha. Almost as funny as the (true) problem in Australia with the huntsmen causing car crashes when they popped out of a hiding spot onto unsuspecting drivers.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me how the hell is a retrofit spring going to deter a spider? By crushing it to death?:wall:
I would assume they would have a spring loaded flap that would cover these vents, and any pressure from inside would open the flap and allow flow, and the spring will pull it closed during low pressure times. This will prevent a spider from entering the area.

But what do I know, the only thing about cars i understand is that they have 5 wheels and take you from A to B.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I would assume they would have a spring loaded flap that would cover these vents, and any pressure from inside would open the flap and allow flow, and the spring will pull it closed during low pressure times. This will prevent a spider from entering the area.
AH that sounds more logical :) :worship: thanks

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Perhaps yellow sac spiders like to go zoom-zoom?"

wow does a six year old say stuff for mazada

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Spiders can easily clog the EVAP system. Bees clogging your MAF sensor in your intake sytem is common. Any bug about honey bee size can clog the MAF but I've only seen bees.:?