this is how i like to stack my pedes...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that when they are in a covered container, it's still and the humidity stays up so that I guess it's why they don't have their instinct kick in to dig all the time so they don't really need the deep sub in general when kept in closed containers. I have deep sub in my terrs with screen tops though.
yes, i believe that you're right. some of my centipedes treat their container like their personal den. they pooped in one corner of the container only. i had witnessed a lot of my pedes picking up their poops with their mouth and walking around looking for a place to put it. then i later find their poops on the side of the container or up against the corner of the container.

---------- Post added 10-16-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

a very nice collection of cages and containers you got there john :). what millipedes are you currently keeping? i'm getting a few millies coming in next week. i just want to see how i like them.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a wall that looks like that also John. I like your little glass terrs, esp. the wide, low profile glass terrs look cool, haven't seen those around here in the stores. I do like glass terrs. I've seen the pedes pick up dirt also looking for a place to put it, like burrowing Ts do like saying, "Hmm, where's a good place to put this..." Many times I've seen molts or eggs soon after seeing that behavior with pedes.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thank you, sirs.

I'm keeping Archispirostreptus gigas, Anadenobolus monilicornis, Narceus americanus, Chicobolus spinigerus, some unidentified Arizonans & still waiting for results from Haraphe haydeniana(which have sadly begun to die off). The spirobolids are typical pet holes, unless you're a night owl.

Those low profile glass tanks are fish breeder tanks that I got from Brandon here on AB a couple years back. I added plexi lids over time...speaking of, do you guys have any suggestions on securing them better? The moisture level has gone up with the rain & the lids are flexing out. My wife found the angulata in the bathroom and I'm on the hot seat.

I have yellow-legged trigonopodus that just built a chamber after moving dirt around. I hope it's going to pump out some eggs so I don't have to sex it, haha.

Just got a banded heros too, so I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys about potential mates and mating strategies soon...

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's my humble collection. I sold or traded my adults so these are all plings/juvies. I posted this pick a while ago and the smallest containers are no longer in use and the largest pedes have been moved into the largest available size of the largest containers in the picture.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pedes mixed in with everything else.

yup. That's pretty much how ive got mine,plastic rack system,but mine are all deli cups of different sizes,tupperwares for the pedes,and this rack is only pedes,i have other plastic racks with the scorps,true spiders,beetles,and a few ts,man everybodys setups look awesome!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where do you get those tubs you have pictured first and second Jason?I'd like to use them for Andros....

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have yellow-legged trigonopodus that just built a chamber after moving dirt around. I hope it's going to pump out some eggs so I don't have to sex it, haha.

Just got a banded heros too, so I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys about potential mates and mating strategies soon...
hopefully they'll laid some fertile eggs if they are.
maybe Todd has some banded heros, but i don't have any over here. those banded are hard to come by.

---------- Post added 10-16-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

Where do you get those tubs you have pictured first and second Jason?I'd like to use them for Andros....
you can get those at home depot or at the container store.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Todd G., or Todd me? I do have one banded arizonensis. It recently molted, it might be mature, haven't checked the sex of it yet.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are some great collections y'all have; you offer some great models for my future when I get more pedes (which I definately plan to do).

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hopefully they'll laid some fertile eggs if they are.
maybe Todd has some banded heros, but i don't have any over here. those banded are hard to come by.

---------- Post added 10-16-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

you can get those at home depot or at the container store.
What brand/model # are they?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
look closely at the picture. go to home depot and you can find the container that they sell is very similar. or go to the container store and ask for plastic shoe boxes. the ones that i used is branded "the container store". they also have a website, i think it's www.thecontainerstore.com

just pretty much any type of containers that is stackable is good enough. i don't have the sku # i ripped it off already.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Look at Walmart also, even stores like The Dollar Store, Dollar Tree(isn't that one?) and BigLots. I think the generic title for that size box is "plastic shoe box", you can type that in at google, Sterilite is a common brand. The Container Store used to carry a clear, hard plastic one that was really nice for stuff like this but then they went to the soft opaque plastic, guess it's cheLook at Walmart also, even stores like The Dollar Store, Dollar Tree(isn't that one?) and BigLots. I think the generic title for that size box is "plastic shoe box", you can type that in at google, Sterilite is a common brand. The Container Store used to carry a clear, hard plastic one that was really nice for stuff like this but then they went to the soft opaque plastic, guess it's cheaper to make.aper to make.

I just looked around a little, if you scroll down at this site http://closetadviser.com/?page_id=194 there is a clear type I mentioned, I just haven't seen these clear ones in the stores around here lately.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll shop, you pay! haha That stuff used to be kind of cheap, prices have gone up a lot. Everything has gone just about. But I notice people don't complain until the TV says, hey, prices have gone up!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I just looked around a little, if you scroll down at this site http://closetadviser.com/?page_id=194 there is a clear type I mentioned, I just haven't seen these clear ones in the stores around here lately.
Haven't seen those before. Looks like they have some large, drawer style boxes too that would make great breeder boxes. Container Store's still selling the shoe boxes: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10026189&N=&Ntt=shoe+box

Todd, you, that banded heros that I got is 5.5" BL & once it gets settled and finishes a meal or two, i'll get is sexed. We're at the tail end of heros humping season, yeah?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The one I have is a little small also, maybe one more molt would be safer but I can prob sex it now. I've seen them mate in October at least. I'm thinking pedes will mate year-round if they are warm enough. I've stopped on the side of the road in the hill country where there are small caves, real caves but too small further inside for me to fit through to go further. I've seen big heros crawling around in the caves on the walls. One was really big but I didn't have a way to catch it. Anyway, I wonder if they often live there, in almost steady temps, year round and mate whenever, who knows.

I've thought about getting those slide out boxes but haven't because it's not a tight fit on top. But I just realized that all you'd have to do use a spacer/shim to make it a tight fit. You could use sheets of Plexiglas or anything else that would work under the drawer.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I like those and use them but the clarity is a bit cloudier then the acrylic. Better than the identical boxes from Home Depot. The lids on the HD version wear easily, but for 99 cents a piece you get what you pay for.