this is getting ridiculous. is this normal?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...124179817645167.18497.100001594478803&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...124179817645167.18497.100001594478803&theater

ok, i know i've posted about this several times, but havn't had photos so i havn't really gotten any uses information. please don't be mad about me posting about the same problem again. so my obt has been in here that she made for around 3-4+ months. hasn't eaten. she did molt a week ago but still hasn't come out. i know it's normal for them to like to hide, but when i think of a T in a 'burrow' i see a doorway where she can grad prey as it goes by..she doesn't. she's VERY very skinny right now and i'm worried. please tell me if these bloody links work or not if not, is there a way to upload them instead of doing a URL? also, one more question, i have sometimes seen people keeping p. murinus [though in a smaller enclosure than a ten gallon] without a hide and they just web everything. is it ok to keep them this way, or is it to stressful for p. murinus without a hide? thanks for any help and thanks for your patience

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im confused, so the issue is that your T is not eating?
yeah. if you could see the pics, you would see that she's all holed up in a web retreat with no door. not abnormal i guess but she's not eaten since i got her [in january] i've been offering food and her abdomen is rather small..idk why she won't eat!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, lol, that may be the most amusing picture i've seen yet of a holed up tarantula.

On a serious note, from what you described, if it was me, i'd remove it from the webbing. You said it's skinny, I would be looking to see if it was a male that had matured.

I've never given my P. murinus hides & they do just fine. They will web up their containers like crazy & make all sorts of tunnels. Although I do usually give them a piece of a fake plant so they have something to start with & anchor to.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, lol, that may be the most amusing picture i've seen yet of a holed up tarantula.

On a serious note, from what you described, if it was me, i'd remove it from the webbing. You said it's skinny, I would be looking to see if it was a male that had matured.

I've never given my P. murinus hides & they do just fine. They will web up their containers like crazy & make all sorts of tunnels. Although I do usually give them a piece of a fake plant so they have something to start with & anchor to.
i thought of that. but can't see any tibial hooks. i know some T's don't have them so is p. murinus one of them? and is it generally old world, or just varied species?

also, sorry about this confusing post people. :rolleyes:

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. murinus does have tibial hooks... to put pics in your post you should upload them to Photobucket first and then post the IMG link in your post

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They do, but can you really see it clearly? It's barely visible through the glass, but I don't know how much better you can see it in person.

I'm all for leaving a tarantula be & letting them do as they will, but something just strikes me as odd about the webbing. I mean, it just looks like someone took a molting mat, pulled it up around the spider, & closed it at the top. Just spidery oddness ;)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I have no experience with this method, but I read somewhere, that sometimes tarantulas may be to weak to catch food, so maybe try putting a freshly killed cricket right in front of it, or maybe rip the legs off the cricket? Like I said I have no personal experience with this, but its worth a shot I think.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no experience with this method, but I read somewhere, that sometimes tarantulas may be to weak to catch food, so maybe try putting a freshly killed cricket right in front of it, or maybe rip the legs off the cricket? Like I said I have no personal experience with this, but its worth a shot I think.
That might work if it wasn't surrounded by webbing. The problem appears to be that it hasn't opened the webbing to come out. Which means crickets don't have a way to get in.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That might work if it wasn't surrounded by webbing. The problem appears to be that it hasn't opened the webbing to come out. Which means crickets don't have a way to get in.
exactly. i dug her out and re-did her tank a bit. gave her something to anchor to, but not to hide in like that :rolleyes: bet she will anyway...she's an odd one..and she is the most docile and calm T i've ever encountered...dug her up, no threat pose calm as a rosea..'course she may be stressed but the person i got her from said she'd never seen a threat pose from her.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

P. murinus does have tibial hooks... to put pics in your post you should upload them to Photobucket first and then post the IMG link in your post
thank you. :) lol. and i didn't see any hooks so she's a she. just skinny