This hobby IS addicting!

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was cleaning my bedroom this morning and decided to lump all my T's cages except one into a big group just to see how many I've accumulated. I think I had 4 T's when I discovered arachnopets in December. I've had three die on me in the last few months, but the other 17 or so are healthy. I took a pic of all the cages and things together...this is my little corner of the T world.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Quite a nice collection!!! But....you always gotta have more!!!!!

Andy

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
I was cleaning my bedroom this morning and decided to lump all my T's cages except one into a big group just to see how many I've accumulated. I think I had 4 T's when I discovered arachnopets in December. I've had three die on me in the last few months, but the other 17 or so are healthy. I took a pic of all the cages and things together...this is my little corner of the T world.
Are you proficient at playing that guitar?

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL.=D
I started with four in, i believe, January. The total count now is 27. Paid half of an order for four more, should get the rest of that taken care of Monday.
I soak in all the information on T's i can possibly have access to.
Yes. I am definitely an addict.:D

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep, I love my bass guitar....that's why it's next to the T's. Have to keep the things I love close together. It's fun to watch them while I play, something about the vibrations makes some of them come closer to me. My fat rosie always comes to the side of her cage while I play my bass. I guess she likes to listen.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Miscounted

Errrk. Miscounted....31
I was quickly reminded after i posted that i forgot four Pink Toes in my daughters room. She was quite offended.:8o
Oh well. Teach me to post when i havent had my coffee yet.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I started out with NONE in January.

Originally posted by Maggie
LOL.=D
I started with four in, i believe, January. The total count now is 27. Paid half of an order for four more, should get the rest of that taken care of Monday.
I soak in all the information on T's i can possibly have access to.
Yes. I am definitely an addict.:D
Got the g. pulchra for my son, with the intentions of not even remotely thinking of anymore...
now have nine,...which is an odd number..and that isnt right..it should be an even number..and a reptile show tomorrow...
i have no will power..er, "won't power"..

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by ant1gen
Yep... called MSD... gotta have More Spiders Disease
While I dont have my first spider YET....Im waiting for our weather to get a bit warmer, the more time I spend on boards and reading on the net my list keeps growing. Gotta have this and OHHH that one looks cool :p

Glad to know there is a name for it
Jen

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have only had my first for 2 weeks but I know I want more and want them bad. I've even been considering going to our county animal shelter and asking them to call me if any Tarantulas get dropped off.......I'm going to have to scrape together the money to place an order with one of the online dealers SOON! I need more tarantulas :eek:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I know what the addiction feels like. I got my first tarantula back when I was 16. Just a common rosehair. About a year later, I got another, and my first died. After that, I got out of them for a while (selling the second). It broke my heart.

Recently, I got back into it by getting a T. blondi spiderling. That was followed by an L. parahybana and an A. versicolor. It snowballed from there, and I had somewhere around 150 about six months ago. Now, I'm down to having seven. I'm probably ending up with an eighth soon, actually ;) You can never stop!

-Bryan

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Studies have shown that MSD is primarily aggravated by a loosely knit peer pressure system where other victims of this disease constantly egg one another on with colorful photos and exaggerated tales about how great such and such a species is. The more "in" a victim feels with his fellow sufferers, the greater and greater heights of spider mania he succumbs to. However, experts believe that in the absence of this constant re-infection by the currently uncharacterised pathogen, most victims will only exhibit mild symptoms.

As a case study, consider me :)
I had Ts and even a couple of scorps over a period extending from sometime in 1981 until sometime in 1998. However, in all that time, I never knew another person who kept inverts, and it never occured to me there might be an online community for tarantulas during my last T's golden years before she passed away of old age. The most inverts I ever had at any one time: three.

Starting in late 2001 I began to feel the void of a large hairy arachnid in my life and looked longingly at the T cages at petstores. This itch became a need by early 2002, but what I really wanted was another pinktoe and redknee. I could find the pinktoes easily enough, but a redknee was nowhere to be found...

Like so many other victims of MSD, I ventured online convinced there must be somebody selling tarantulas over the internet and discovered my downfall. Not only was there somebody, there were a lot of somebodies. These many somebodies carried more types of tarantulas for sale than I had dreamed were available in the pet trade, and most tempting of all: they had baby tarantulas. After a lifetime of only seeing wild caught juveniles and adults, I learned that I could own cute, little baby tarantulas. Worst of all, after decades of suffering MSD alone, I found entire communities of fellow MSD victims, and downward spiral began.

At first I just surfed and lurked, bookmarking interesting sites and vendors. But soon I began to get reckless and began to post and share with other sufferers. By the time I got around to placing my first online order, I ordered not only the B. smithi and A. avicularia I had initially set out to get, but an A. geniculata, A. versicolor, and C. cyanopubescens as well - two tarantulas had become five, and that, as they say, was just the beginning of my descent into full blown MSD.

It's now not quite a year since I officially re-entered that hobby with that first order, but five became eleven, and eleven became sixteen, sixteen became eighteen, eighteen became thirty-two, and, "finally", thirty-two became forty.

And, of course, I'm already combing stocklists getting a feel for what my next fix should be...

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
lmao code aslong as someone is happy it doesnt matter ^_^ im happy with.......one at the moment but do want more and have actually asked my local pet store to ask his supplier if they have any B. Beohmei :8o

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Im justifying to myself the few spiders I plan to purchase is ok since Im ALREADY paying the overnight charge, I might as well get the most for my money :D

Jen

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
I justify buying more critters by the decreasing cost-per-critter shipping charge. :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Studies have shown that MSD is primarily aggravated by a loosely knit peer pressure system where other victims of this disease constantly egg one another on with colorful photos and exaggerated tales about how great such and such a species is.
LMAO. I was in denial until a fellow sufferrer such as yourself, explained to me the symptoms of MSD. I heard rumours that various cures had been created, such as hamster keeping, which failed badly as keepers fed the progeny to the T's, gruesome I know, who'd want to keep hamsters?

(Just kidding folks, I love hamsters, I really do ;))

Steve

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by ant1gen
I justify buying more critters by the decreasing cost-per-critter shipping charge. :)
Isn't that rationalisation great? You get 5 Ts on an order and you've got it down to about $5@, bump it up to 10 Ts and it's only $2.50@. Order enough Ts at one time and the shipping is practically free ;)

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep, one day I'll be needing T's anonymous. I have at least three more waiting for me to pick up at a show next week. :D I have to get my collection back to an even 20, hehe. I'm saving a whole paycheck for T's, which isn't a whole lot at minimum wage. I hope to find another female A. Avic at the show next week as well.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just hope my landlords are copacetic with my T's. I mean it's not like they scratch things to pieces and mess on the carpet.