This guys got balls of steel or is he just..?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Hats off to him for this really..

[youtube]K7oJ2S1ixzU[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Confidence goes a long way in handling any aggressive animal.

It's in the same vein as standing tall and showing no fear to an aggressive dog. As soon as that confidence is shaken, that animal knows that you're ripe for the biting/stinging.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I heard of one guy who started doing that with a thai black. Well needless to say he got over complacent and ended up getting bitten multiple times :p

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Balls for brains, more like it.
I'm not impressed about how he holds that murinus while standing up, after moving away from the table, especially with how active she was. Sure, they may not be as ill equipped for climbing as your more stocky terrestrials, but a fall from that height could still do some damage if she fell wrong.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
That is for sure showing off is more like it :p now that guy is just asking for trouble.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Oh, that goes without saying; the guy belongs in the same class as this guy.

But he does get at least some kudos from me for displaying the confidence to even attempt that. Although if I were to do it, I agree that it wouldn't be in a way where the T could die from a fall, which is exactly what would have happened if it decided to bite homeboy.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I think handling Ts is very overrated. So what if he gets bit? A couple bad days at most unless he is allergic. Not like he is free handling a cobra. I have kept venomous snakes for 10 years or so and never tried free handling. Now that would have been "balls of steel"+stupidity.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you ever want to talk to him, I know he used to be on the Herpetology 101 forums on myspace. I think his display name was Medicine man or something like that. I am not so sure if he still posts there now or not. Earthworm Soul used to be on that forum along with me and that guy in the video, he may know more than I do.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this is why the hole defensive vs aggressive arguement got started way back in my old threads, the P murunis and others are highly defensive of their homes, when removed, are only intrested in trying to book it, and will eventualy tire/calm down.

that said there is several handling methods you can use to free hand 'moody' tarantulas, see some of my old posts.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No big deal - tarantulas don't randomly bite the surface they are walking on. I would wager that 90% of all tarantula bites in the hobby are the result of foolish keepers sticking their hands and fingers into enclosures. I have never been bitten while handling my spiders, and my collection comprises exclusively Old World species and I have yet to come across a species that is completely unhandleable.

[YOUTUBE]ddF-CrZu5LI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TM-bAqmBOg8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0ITUDo7PkFM[/YOUTUBE]

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No big deal - tarantulas don't randomly bite the surface they are walking on. I would wager that 90% of all tarantula bites in the hobby are the result of foolish keepers sticking their hands and fingers into enclosures. I have never been bitten while handling my spiders, and my collection comprises exclusively Old World species and I have yet to come across a species that is completely unhandleable.

100% agree!!! Thank you!!! i thought i was the only one that felt this way!!!!!

Peace!!!!

Last edited:

RoseT

Arachnosquire
He was doing a lot more than just handling imo. He's even at one point in the video trying to grab it with his hand which from what I've been told is a big don't do with any species. I too don't agree with the height of where he's handling, could have slipped and died. This video still gets me though, he should have been bitten plenty of times throughout that recording.

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He wasn't doing a lot more than just handling imo. He's even at one point in the video trying to grab it with his hand which from what I've been told is a big don't do with any species. I too don't agree with the height of where he's handling, could have slipped and died. This video still gets me though, he should have been bitten plenty of times throughout that recording.
He has many many inverts and reptiles if I am not mistaken, he also handles all of his species I think. I am not saying I condone it, I am just saying what I have seen. What I do know though is that he is very knowledgeable about Herps, and he has kept inverts from a few years back as far as I know.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Almost any T will calm down considerably once removed from her home. Usually when you see people free handling high-zoot species like this, they've already removed it to a temporary cup, given it a few minutes to chill out then handled if from there. When completely out of their element like that they are nowhere near as likely to bite -or even threaten- as they would be if you were intruding into their home.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
I've got a P. murinus and I would never attempt this, or with any skittish T for that matter. There really is no point except to show off. It's a risk to him and more so to the spider.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
100% agree!!! Thank you!!! i thought i was the only one that felt this way!!!!!

Peace!!!!
+1
When you get used to fast and really defensive centipedes, even OBTs become non-issue.
Tarantulas rarely ever act defensive out of their enclosures.
Pedes are a different story.

CombiChrist

Arachnopeon
"Balls of steel or just... ? "

Just a pussy, have alook at this one, now thát's what I call plain stupid :

[youtube]KNIrGhnJATA[/youtube]

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Draiman. Spiders won't normally waste their venom on a surface they're walking on. Though some seem to really dislike the sweat or something off our skin. My Pokie slings jump back from touching skin.

I do disagree with how the OBT was handled. Even an arboreal, especially after a molt, could get hurt from a fall. I handle and do maintenance from ground level because the spiders I have can be easily spooked into dashing and taking a leap.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

[YOUTUBE]ddF-CrZu5LI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TM-bAqmBOg8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0ITUDo7PkFM[/YOUTUBE]
Hi, please excuse me if I'm wrong as I'm new to the hobby and I hope to someday handle my tarantula, but I noticed condensation frost on that deli container in your Hetaroscodra macalata handling vid. It looks like you just took it out of the fridge or freezer. I've read on here of some people cooling down their tarantulas to make them easier to handle but I thought that it wasn't recommended. If I have to do that before I handle my tarantula then maybe I shouldn't handle it at all.