This guys got balls of steel or is he just..?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Hi, please excuse me if I'm wrong as I'm new to the hobby and I hope to someday handle my tarantula, but I noticed condensation frost on that deli container in your Hetaroscodra macalata handling vid. It looks like you just took it out of the fridge or freezer. I've read on here of some people cooling down their tarantulas to make them easier to handle but I thought that it wasn't recommended. If I have to do that before I handle my tarantula then maybe I shouldn't handle it at all.

I caught that too....I dont think its cool at all!....Im not even into handling any of my T's, better yet freezing them to slow them down either. I might be wrong but I dont think its right.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think most T's are just defensive. Most the time when people claim they have an aggressive T, They havent seen it out of its cage. Once you take them out of their surroundings, they're not defensive any more because they have nothing to defend. I've tested this with a Haplopelma lividum.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I don't think he would try it with a Scolopendra subspinipes though but i don't know.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBT handling

I've seen a # of OBT handling videos. One lady had a LARGE female, that she handled like it was a Rose-Hair. Very impressive. In fact, I think the caption of the video was the "Tarantula whisperer", and the caption was fitting. But the most impressive was the guy that had the OBT bolt OVER HIS FACE, and never flinched! Very impressive.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
I must say that, iv handled OBT's formosa's lividum's and other ornamentals, and i have not used a deli cup, or put them in a fridge,

iv simply put my hand at the edge of the enclosure in fear they may fall, and even then.. If they did fall, they wouldnt do them selfs any harm, and they have been as calm as i have...

I dont see the need to "Freak out" when a spider none to be defencive runs onto me, i dont see the apeal in that one either... Iv seen more bite reports of people "freaking out" when a spider such as an OBT than a spider, simply running onto somone and that person being calm... and also being killed, why ?!?

yea iv been bit, but did i fling them, no....

My question is this, if they scare you so much, to the point of freaking out when they do whats natural to them, run in defence.... Why are you keeping them ?

If your unable to stay calm around them, wouldnt that be a silly thing to get ?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No big deal - tarantulas don't randomly bite the surface they are walking on.
I have to disagree. A tarantula's foot-pads are FILLED with chemo-receptors.Their senses of taste and smell are in their feet. They know the difference between walking on the ground, and walking on another organism. They know you are alive. Just watch Cacoseraph's video of handling an H. maculata, and you'll see that the spider distinguishes between the inanimate object it is sitting on, and Cacos' skin. There is no reason to think that a tarantula wouldn't bite a hand / arm it was walking on because it is "the ground."

[YOUTUBE]iEx5NTJ3sks[/YOUTUBE]

Have you ever observed a tarantula act defensively in its cage...and then calm down outside it? Know why that is? The T can sense--through its feet--that it is no longer on its "turf"..its territory, and it loses its territorial defense drive. T's know what they're standing on, and they differentiate between them in terms of their defensive behavior.

Don't bank on a T not biting you because it is walking on you.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of those vids come even close to "balls of steel".
This imo IS balls of steel. And he's definitely not a show-off, he's very experienced and knowledgeable of what he's doing.
[YOUTUBE]WnrbY_zl7qI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]j6hH1HABESI[/YOUTUBE]

Would you hold a log with multiple P. pederseni on it?