This Fascination with Old Worlds?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
yeah, I tend to forget that you guys have no choice.
I tell ya what though, if I was in your shoes, I’d own an atrax robustus, assuming it’s legal for you guys to obtain and keep them?
Oh dont worry, ive got 3 of those and a few far worse. No license needed or anything

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
1. What is your personal experience with Old Worlds, which ones?

2. What is your personal attraction? Why the fascination?
1. In my experience the supposed defensive nature of OW's, when housed correctly, is highly over-rated. I currently keep 49 species and very rarely see a threat display, in fact I seen more threats from the supposedly docile NW's. I have not once had a close call where I almost got bit. And by housed correctly I mean giving them a proper hide to retreat to, which they will do, 99 times out of a 100.
2. I don't really have a NW/OW preference and when choosing a species to buy the thought of whether they're OW or NW doesn't even enter my mind. I choose solely on whether something about their appearance appeals to me.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That’s awesome. I’d love to see some pictures if you ever get the chance.

But to PROPERLY address the OPs questions, first off I deal with species harboring the attitude of Asian fossorials with the addition of +20% buffs to all stats simply for being Australian. You think OBT's are scary? At least you can see them from a mile away, all our natives are the same colour as the substrate and only behave best when the lights are dimmed down. The genus in question are Selenocosmia/Phlogius, Coremiocnemis, Selenotypus and worst of all, Selenotholus.

But i still love them. Every bolt, every hiss, every brown molt, all of it. I can say with great pride ive never had a rehouse go wrong (a few close calls but nothing my Aussie reflexes couldnt deal with), have only lost 1 sling due to husbandry errors and successfully paired and raised a sac of healthy slings. While they certainly can be handful, passing them on as nothing more is a mortal sin deserving of death.

A final point worth mentioning, at least for my circumstances, is i have a hyper allergy to the hairs of hairy caterpillars. Its a mechanical reaction, so i only imagine NW urticating hairs would be abysmal.

To finish off, pictures
20200404_120757.jpg 20200404_110914.jpg 20200330_210049.jpg 20200326_215015.jpg 20200323_185346.jpg

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Idk man I just like tarantulas and get whichever ones I find pretty/interesting, NW or OW. 😋

Some fascination you see probably comes from their allegedly feistier behaviour and the stronger venom. A bit of a thrill every time you open the enclosure. However, I'll say if that's why someone has a fascination with them, it's the wrong reasoning.

I like the old worlds I have because they're stunning creatures and I enjoy their aesthetic. Also nice not having to worry about opening an enclosure and getting itchy for just being in proximity lol. As far as my experiences, I'll say they haven't been crazy as long as I'm taking the appropriate precautions. My juvie male Poecis are probably the Ts in my collection I get the most threat poses out of, even more so than my 6 P. murinus, but they only do it when provoked (i.e. I disturb them by breathing too hard and it startles them). However, I also get threat poses out of my two male Tappies just as frequently and have gotten a couple from my Psalmopoeus species, even as 1" slings. NWs are just as capable of being cranky/bolty as OWs, not every species is a "docile" cricket-eating potato.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just think all types of Ts are beautiful, fascinating, and awesome, I have tons of OW and tons of T. albopilosus, G. rosea, and A. chalcodes and other NW. Am I supposed to like one group more than the other? To each their own, but I'm not sure how anyone could dislike T. albopilosus if they've actually kept a few. I also think the reputation of P. murinus is way overblown, they are an awesome species, but mostly just skittish IME.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Old thread and I have said it before...
I love baboons.
I don't have room for all of them but if I did I would empty the continent of Africa.
People like what they like.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I dont keep many tarantulas, mainly scorpion and true spider, but I have a few OW and NW and they NW is really kind of boring, OW is far more like true spider and more interesting to see.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I feel you man, I’ve been off an on in this hobby for years, and I never quite understand new keepers obsession with old worlds. Its like people want to go from a Brachypelma to a Heteroscodra over night. Or get a Poecilotheria without having even done a round of rehouses with anything with any sort of speed let alone venom.

like sure there are some beautiful old worlds but there are a plethora of amazing new worlds that so often get skipped over in the quest to own only the super ornate tarantulas.

I after a while, a couple years ago, I decided that aftera few of my old worlds passed I wouldn’t be actively seeking them out. I acquired three cats when I met my girl and while I have never had an escape( it’s hard to if you are smart), if I ever did and one of the cats got to it and got bit in our small apartment, that might spell the end of my girls acceptance with all my tarantulas. She has accepted me for all my insects and lets me keep whatever I want. But out of respect for her and her acceptance of me it’s just not worth it.

I am perfectly content with my NW’s at the moment. Maybe that will change if I ever have a dedicated invert space again like I used to.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I wouldnt say I prefer either one. There are specimens in both groups that I love. The only group of old worlds that have any special consideration IMO are Pokies. That long sleek look with unique patterns and flashes of color. It’s just awesome.
It seems for many beginners it’s the old “you want what you can’t have” Issue. Seems like many don’t feel full fledged hobbyists with out keeping OWs

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I think a bunch of people are scared away from them from others that have bad experiences with OW. They really are not that bad, do your homework and enjoy them just like all other species.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Personally, I think If all species had equal venom potency ....New Worlds would be way more popular than OW. I think consciously or unconsciously some people like OW because they feel like they have super dangerous pets. I also feel like that it gives them a confidence boost as if it makes them some sort of superior keeper which I strongly disagree with.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I agree. I think a good analogy is that some folks think of it like "leveling up" in a video game or something, and feel the desire to prove themselves. In reality a lot of the so-called boring New World species are actually some of the most amazing, even though there are definitely some amazing OW species as well.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the gaming analogy of leveling up. Like in COD, you level up to unlock more weapons. While undoubtedly some would pick the later weapons as a sort of status symbol, most gamers would tend to pick whatever they like best. It could be L1 MP5 or a L55 MP7. I can see a similar thing with tarantulas keeping.

Urticating hair to me is like COD horizontal recoil. I just try to avoid it as much as possible.
That's why I like OW, no need to research if there's urticating hair or not.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I haven't been in this hobby very long and I don't have the confidence in my own abilities.
And that's ok. Maybe one day I'll decide to get an OW......maybe I'll be satisfied with the huge range of NW tarantulas available.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Urticating hair to me is like COD horizontal recoil. I just try to avoid it as much as possible.
That's why I like OW, no need to research if there's urticating hair or not.
I agree, I tend to like the ones without urticating setae. I had an LP once that would flick if you looked at her or even walked by her enclosure. I feel no more powerful with a NW or an OW.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't been in this hobby very long and I don't have the confidence in my own abilities.
And that's ok. Maybe one day I'll decide to get an OW......maybe I'll be satisfied with the huge range of NW tarantulas available.
Get a Psalmopeous. ;)