This Fascination with Old Worlds?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
There is a strong segment here at Arachnoboards that is enamored with Old Worlds. I do not understand it....it's an animal that has some level of detrimental potential.

...I understand the attraction, there are several species that have definite appeal. ...I just don’t know...tell me.

1. What is your personal experience with Old Worlds, which ones?

2. What is your personal attraction? Why the fascination?

I'll just sit back and enjoy the Stir-Crazy that's been noticeable today.

Thank you for your posts.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Different people just like different things. Old World tarantulas have some important differences in behavior and appearance than new worlds that some people may find more appealing. I personally tend to prefer New World tarantulas, but I do have a few Old World species that I really like.
1) At the moment, I only have 2 Old Worlds, a P. murinus and a P.regalis. Both of them are stunningly beautiful and have a different sort of look to them than New World species. I tend to like tarantulas with some attitude, so I got an OBT expecting just that, but was surprised. My female tends to be more skittish, and I've never even seen a threat posture from her. Her behavior is interesting...she's spun an intricate web fortress and I'm always in awe of her brilliant orange coloration. It's fascinating to watch her stalk her prey slowly and methodically, then pounce on it. My P. regalis is still a juvie, and is very reclusive. Sometimes I see him come out in the middle of the night and again, I'm in awe of his intricate pattern and amazing camouflage.
2) I'm attracted to certain Old World species the same reason I'm attracted to any other species, the variety they present in terms of size, behavior, and appearance. Some folks really like OW fossorials b/c of the labyrinthine burrows they create, and the fact that they're also some of the most beautiful spiders in the world. OW arboreals also often have a very striking appearance, and tend to be large and fast growing. Honestly, there's a tarantula out there for everyone, and some people just find their niche in OWs. I enjoy them because they are interesting, beautiful, and add some variety to my collection.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Technically all tarantulas have "some level of detrimental potential ".

I think people like what they like.

My favourites are mostly old worlds. I like the response a bit because it reminds me of the (non-tarantula) spiders I kept as a kid.

New Worlds (I am generalizing since the topic is more or less) often have urticating hairs and while I like how some of those species look I am just not a fan of that.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
so do a lot of dogs! but hey look how popular they are.
I own a few. The notorious OBT being one of them. They are cool. And as long as you use some common sense, they aren’t hard to keep.

Edit: apparently I’m drunk and can’t operate things properly. That was meant as a general response ha.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I own a few. The notorious OBT being one of them. They are cool. And as long as you use someone common sense, they aren’t hard to keep.
Edit. That wasn’t meant to go to you.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I don't get this fasination why everyone drools over the B.albo or a G.rosea and thinks you absolutely need to have one in your collection. That's what I don't understand.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Docile N/W’s are predictable and simple to keep. O/W’s are fast, unpredictable and fascinate us, igniting our curiosity. I guess it slightly plays into the fascination we as humanity have with danger and the unknown... Just as exploring or learning and bungee jumping does. Just by being fascinated by O/W’s it doesn’t mean we discount the beauty of N/W’s, they just provide an aura of discovery that easy, well kept N/W’s don’t.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had lots of diffrent OW genus and speicies. Fom Stromatopelma to Harpactirinae AKA Pterinochilus, Ceratogyrus and others to Haplopelmas, Chilibrachys, Poecilotheria and other speicies

I dont know if i am fascinated of them more than NW speicies. I certainly like many of them, like Pterinochilus,Ceratogyrus abd some of the Ornictonae

But my favourite genus is actualky Phormictopus a NW genus

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Docile N/W’s are predictable and simple to keep. O/W’s are fast, unpredictable and fascinate us, igniting our curiosity. I guess it slightly plays into the fascination we as humanity have with danger and the unknown... Just as exploring or learning and bungee jumping does. Just by being fascinated by O/W’s it doesn’t mean we discount the beauty of N/W’s, they just provide an aura of discovery that easy, well kept N/W’s don’t.
Try to keep Ephebopus, they will nit be that docile and predictable

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Try to keep Ephebopus, they will nit be that docile and predictable
It’s not that docile t’s or any other inverts bore me, I’m a big phasmid fan and they are practically houseplants that occasionally come to life. It’s just that in comparison to N/W’s, O/W’s do provide a sense of wonder and danger that appeals to many including me.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, generally speaking NW are more docile, there are a few exeptions, like there are some generally docile OW

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
It may also be that a larger portion of T’s in the hobby are O/W’s or defensive N/W’s...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I own a few. The notorious OBT being one of them. They are cool. And as long as you use some common sense, they aren’t hard to keep.

Edit: apparently I’m drunk and can’t operate things properly. That was meant as a general response ha.
I had a gorgeous AF that I raised, a very long time ago, my first OW. I still find OBTs to be one of the most striking species out there.!!! BUT, I don't feel like dealing with their behavior. Need a docile bright orange T to be discovered

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s not that docile t’s or any other inverts bore me, I’m a big phasmid fan and they are practically houseplants that occasionally come to life. It’s just that in comparison to N/W’s, O/W’s do provide a sense of wonder and danger that appeals to many including me.
I own OWs, I don't wonder anymore about them than my NWs. In fact, my most active T species ever have been NWs, Here's my most active species EVER

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Dogs and cats can be unpredictable and potentially dangerous too; Especially cats, my cat bit me last week and I had to get antibiotics because cats' mouths are extremely rich in bacteria. But this doesn't stop millions of ppl from owning them. And I'm not even angry at my cat. Anyways, OW Ts are colourful and interesting to watch and keep. They are beautiful and can be compared to somebody keeping a saltwater tank with a lionfish. Yes, it's venomous but no, you're not going to go petting it or intentionally trying to get it to go into a threat pose, unless you severely lack common sense. They are not monsters. Just faster and a bit more unpredictable thus catch cups are deployed when working near them in their enclosures. No rocket science or suits of armour required. ;)

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I literally dont have a choice but to keep OW's
yeah, I tend to forget that you guys have no choice.
I tell ya what though, if I was in your shoes, I’d own an atrax robustus, assuming it’s legal for you guys to obtain and keep them?