This also a wolf spider?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The eye pattern indicates a Lycosid, as well as the fact that it carries its sac attached to spinnerets. Where was this spider found?

Ratatoskr

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I did not give much info, did I?

It crawled without the sack one day outside on the wall of my parents house in southern Spain, close to Alicante, desert like areas with not much vegetation except for the artificially created areas around all the houses. Two days later it showed up (or another) with the sack.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
100% Lycosid. Most likely a Hogna species or a Lycosa species. If it were in the United States, I'd say H. carolinensis due to the brightly colored chelicera, but I don't know about Spanish spiders...

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In Spain, hmmmmm. I did a little digging and my guess is ....(drumroll).......................Hogna radiata. Just a guess though. Apparently Spain is blessed with many species of large Lycosids and I am not knowledgable about spanish spiders at all.

Also, if you look i think that the spider with the sac is in fact a different spider altogether. The 2nd picture shows a spider with several dark markings on the abdomen, which the spider with the sac seems to be missing altogether. Not sure if this is just the lighting though.

Ratatoskr

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the identification. I'll check out my high resolution images this weekend, for the markings. I had not looked at it that much before but now I notice what you are saying.
If anyone wants me to post more pics of them and in higher res for better ID, tell me and I'll upload them to the site enabling dwld feature too.

Ratatoskr

Arachnopeon
I forgot to ask, just to be informed, does it carry any venom that can be felt by humans?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All spiders carry venom.........and Im sure if it bit you you would feel it. However I do not think there are any Lycosid spiders with venom that could cause serious harm.... more like a bee sting.

And feel free to post more pics......I know ill look cuz i love Wolf Spiders.

Ratatoskr

Arachnopeon
Gunslinger, more pics up on my photo album :) That's all. Not that great pics but all were taken with a simple point and shoot camera. I did not have my dSLR D200 camera at that time.

Last edited: