Thinking of what to get next, what will eat adult roaches?

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started a roach colony to feed my Ts and it's doing great, a little too good actually. There are a lot adults that even my largest Ts aren't interested in.

So, I've got a large Sterlite container. What can I put in it that will eat adult roaches? I'm thinking of creatures of the reptile persuasion but I've got an open mind. I'm hoping to spend around $50.

The next local exotic pet show is in one month, so I have time to set up the vivarium and test to make sure proper temps and humidity can be maintained.

Also, any recommendations are good. I was toying with the idea of getting another snake.

What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think, but im not sure, that a large mantid would eat adult roaches.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mantids

How long do they live? Ghost mantids, and those wandering mantids, look AMAZING. Definitely something to think about.

Pyxie Frog

Hm, my wife likes frogs. I might go with something like that. I think the sweater box is a little too big though.

Thanks for the suggestions, what else can you recommend?

:D

Large Chameleons could eat adult roaches.
Chameleons are awesome looking too, but from what I hear they take a lot of work and dedication to raise properly or else health problems arise. Do you have any experience with them?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chams do require alot of work and they are far from cheap to set up proper. A pac man frog would be a good choice if you didn't want something as large as a pixie.
What species of roach do you have?

Mantids live 8-10 month generally.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That sucks about Mantids, I don't think I would enjoy having a pet for less than a year, and I don't have the resources to breed the things.

I have Lobster Roaches, all in all the experiment is going well. It's great having just the right sizes for all my spiderlings and geckos. I'm kind of surprised that my 6 inch rosie, my 5 inch Brazilian Salmon and my four inch A. Seemani aren't eating the large ones.

My Seemani and my c. fasciatum wont even eat the smaller ones so I have to get crickets still :8o

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is odd that your bigger T's wont take the adults, mine do. When I first started feeding the roaches, it took awhile for some to start eating them, I only had one who refused to make the switch and I recently sold her.

Snakes don't eat roaches unless you get a green snake and I don't think they would eat many. Maybe you can just sell your extras, that what I did.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been trying to do the same thing, I'd particularly like to control my male dubia population. Just picked up a couple good sized Tokay gecko's at a show. By reputation they should fit the bill pretty well but mine are not eating much, I'm hoping they only need time to aclimate. I'm also thinking about a pyxie and/or pacman frog. Seems like the damn dubia's are eating as fast as I can fill the dishes...

Bill

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been trying to do the same thing, I'd particularly like to control my male dubia population. Just picked up a couple good sized Tokay gecko's at a show. By reputation they should fit the bill pretty well but mine are not eating much, I'm hoping they only need time to aclimate. I'm also thinking about a pyxie and/or pacman frog. Seems like the damn dubia's are eating as fast as I can fill the dishes...

Bill
I have both pacman and pyxie frogs....get the pyxie, trust me.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a bearded dragon.....From what I remember, you can usually get a baby one for about $50 or so, and they eat insects and veggies.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is odd that your bigger T's wont take the adults, mine do. When I first started feeding the roaches, it took awhile for some to start eating them, I only had one who refused to make the switch and I recently sold her.

Snakes don't eat roaches unless you get a green snake and I don't think they would eat many. Maybe you can just sell your extras, that what I did.
Yeah, I was surprised by it too. The rose hair ate one and now refuses them. The Seemani wont even try. I put her back on crickets because she recently molted and her abdomen is a bit small for my liking. Once she's been eating for a while I'll try the roaches again.

Of course, I wouldn't even try to feed a roach to a snake, I'll just take any excuse to buy a new snake {D They're like Ts once you get into them.

That pixie frog does look like it might fit the bill.

I'll look into a beardie too. I'm always fascinated by those.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really? are pyxie more aggressive? I thought about getting a pacman.
Aggressive is difficult to define, but definately more voracious and willing to run down and gobble up anything, and they can snap at you like nothing else when hungry.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find my horned frogs are willing to wait for a perfect opportunity to eat instead of chase anything.. the Pyxie however will try to eat frogs in other tanks if it has them in clear view. lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I'd go "frog" on the roaches too. Speaking of frogs, I saw a show about a giant species of Monkey frog some researchers were in search of. I forgot what country they were in. I think I saw that show a few years ago. Anybody else see that? There are a few species of Monkey frog, right? What species was it on that show? They looked pretty big. They looked big enough to handle a big roach. If they are available, might be more than $50 though.

Last edited:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I'd go "frog" on the roaches too. Speaking of frogs, I saw a show about a giant species of Monkey frog some researchers were in search of. I forgot what country they were in. I think I saw that show a few years ago. Anybody else see that? There are a few species of Monkey frogs, right? What species was it on that show? They looked pretty big. They looked big enough to handle a big roach. If they are available, might be more than $50 though.
Probably talking about Goliath Frogs in Cameroon or something. Very hard to get and breed, only some 300 come here a year. So I say stick to a pyxie.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a type of giany monkey frog but I can't remember the name, really cool looking.
Beardies are awsome, I have one myself but they will cost alot more then $50, you might be able to find a baby for that price but a proper set up will run around $200.