Thinking of Switching from Lats to Dubia

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know how to keep lats from stinking, I have tried so many different substrates, foods, etc.....even with them gone and I have the empty container in the garage, I walk out in the garage and their that distinct roach smell....lol. I wish I knew the secret.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I prefer lats.
I've definently noticed some spiders prefer lats over dubia, but most of mine don't care or prefer dubia. Lats definently would be a no-go for my LP.

I also rotate out the egg cartons.
I don't remember how often I did that, so that could definently be it.
I've been doing it more regularly with the dubia.

----
The other reason I prefer dubia is for slings. Lat nymphs are so small that even my slings were too big for them after just one or two molts. The dubia nymphs are better sized relatively speaking.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure why, maybe it's the peat I use as a substrate, but my lats don't stink.
Why do you use substrate with roaches? I do not use any and have read that substrate is not necessary for roaches? When you clean it out how do you get the babies out of the substrate?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why do you use substrate with roaches? I do not use any and have read that substrate is not necessary for roaches? When you clean it out how do you get the babies out of the substrate?
I use substrate to help maintain humidity, and because I didn't read anything before setting them up, and that's just how I decided to do it. Reading about other people having issues with the smell, I'm thinking my peat substrate might be a reason why I don't have that problem.

Most of the babies are in the egg cartons, so no problems with cleaning.
Cleaning for me means swapping bins, cleaning the old one and setting aside for next cleaning when I'll swap them again.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
ok Jim, I had never thought about substrate with roaches before. I bought my colony from Brandon at Captive Inverts and he said none was needed. I guess lats smell alot from what i have read, thats why I like my dubias no smell at all!

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
If you can get both, go for it. I use B. Dubia for large sized T's. And I use B. Lateralis for small sized inverts.

I used to have B. Lateralis colony only. And I find it very difficult to have a fast breeding since I have to feed the adults Lats for my bigger t's. Less adult lats, less breeding.