Thinking of rescuing a Rose Hair

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I was looking for terrariums and I found a rose hair that comes with the enclosure. (The person says they want to get rid of her because they do not have the time to care for her). I can see little sub, branches in the enclosure, and a LARGE rock. (no chance of digging under it so much but it looks precarious to me).

It is for only 60$ CAD with the terrarium (mesh lid will need replacing but I could rehouse her in an enclosure I have already bought for when my g. pulchra sling gets big in like..forever) It seems like a good deal..but I would have to pay for transportation which would be a lot so it is not that much of a deal with that in mind.

They state it is a 10 year old female but did not say HOW they know. The shots are not really close enough to look for mm hooks and no looks of the underside.

I feel bad about the husbandry, but I did not want to lecture them about that in first message. I am asking how they know it is a female.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
I say u rescue it if ur buying it from a private party.. if a store... Forget it. Last thing u want is to support those jerks cuz they'll just end up buying more to place in a crappy conditions like that.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I say u rescue it if ur buying it from a private party.. if a store... Forget it. Last thing u want is to support jerks like that cuz they'll just end up buying more to place in a crappy conditions like that.
It is a person that says they no longer have the time to care for it.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Gotcha. I say u rescue it. What if they dump her to someone who has no idea how to care for em.. i dont know. Up to u. But id grab her.

Tarantularanch2014

Arachnopeon
(mesh lid will need replacing but I could rehouse her in an enclosure I have already bought for when my g. pulchra sling gets big in like..forever) .
As someone who has had a pulchra sling for more than a year now I feel this. I didn’t think there would be so much variation in the growth rates! Mine has closed off its burrow so I have to resist the urge to push feeders down in there for it.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Gotcha. I say u rescue it. What if they dump her to someone who has no idea how to care for em.. i dont know. Up to u. But id grab her.
I am a bit leery buying off a private party in case there is "something wrong" with it. With bad husbandry I am not sure it would be in the best condition. I would hope it would be a confirmed female as well. If it molted out and turned out to be male I do not really have anyone to pair it with. 10 years seems like it would likely be a female since that is close to the max a male would have.

As someone who has had a pulchra sling for more than a year now I feel this. I didn’t think there would be so much variation in the growth rates! Mine has closed off its burrow so I have to resist the urge to push feeders down in there for it.
I have had mine as a sling since it was 1 inch and it has molted once..I think I have had it for a little over a month now. I don't mind its slow growth too much. I think it is quite cuet at this size. I am starting to think one of my LP's will grow to adult size first! xD (I got them at 1/8 inch)

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I get it.. dont males live a bit over 10 years?
I have been looking and I find different sources saying 2-5 years, 6-10 years and 3-10 years. Old info can sometimes populate the internet though, I am doing a lot of reading. I already know about their husbandry but some of the more nuanced information I am not as sure about.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I just found out she is "Sold and pending pickup" I am thinking of giving some advice on how to keep properly. They also said she is not a boy because she does not have the "clubs".

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It is a person that says they no longer have the time to care for it.
I die laughing when I hear this. A single G. rosea/porteri requires what, 30 seconds a week? Most weeks, you're not even feeding because they fast for years once they get full. Literally all you're doing is topping off water. 30 seconds.

Just be honest and say you don't want it any more, people.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I die laughing when I hear this. A single G. rosea/porteri requires what, 30 seconds a week? Most weeks, you're not even feeding because they fast for years once they get full. Literally all you're doing is topping off water. 30 seconds.

Just be honest and say you don't want it any more, people.

Ikr....