Thinking of getting my first T

Stugy

Arachnolord
OK. First off, I know there are many threads about this but I just wanted to put up my own personalized wish list :p. OK then. Things I would like in my first T or Ts as I might smother it with too much attention lol. Btw I have some experience with scorpions and I got a bunch of wc true spiders :p. My most venomous animal is either my Parabuthus schlecteri (scorpion) or my Sicarius sp. Chile. OK so here's my wants:
-Doesn't need much attention
-On average are mild and calm
-Can hold (more like can tolerate holding better)
-Overall easy care
-I don't care if desert or tropical but I prefer the arid side
-Doesn't need much space
-Slow (if possible but this can be ignored)
-Doesn't get too big
-Readily available at reasonable prices (like $10 lol i got no moneyz)
-Nice looking and active (the nice looking part may be ignored and i know activity depends on the T but like overall activity from most specimens)
That should be it. :)
I hope I didn't overkill it but that's kind of my list of preferences. I hope someone can help me out.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
OK. First off, I know there are many threads about this but I just wanted to put up my own personalized wish list :p. OK then. Things I would like in my first T or Ts as I might smother it with too much attention lol. Btw I have some experience with scorpions and I got a bunch of wc true spiders :p. My most venomous animal is either my Parabuthus schlecteri (scorpion) or my Sicarius sp. Chile. OK so here's my wants:
-Doesn't need much attention
-On average are mild and calm
-Can hold (more like can tolerate holding better)
-Overall easy care
-I don't care if desert or tropical but I prefer the arid side
-Doesn't need much space
-Slow (if possible but this can be ignored)
-Doesn't get too big
-Readily available at reasonable prices (like $10 lol i got no moneyz)
-Nice looking and active (the nice looking part may be ignored and i know activity depends on the T but like overall activity from most specimens)
That should be it. :)
I hope I didn't overkill it but that's kind of my list of preferences. I hope someone can help me out.
Welcome to the boards!

Ok, first we don't recommend handling T's, do it if you must but there is no truly handle able "tame" tarantula. The closest thing is Euathlus sp red or yellow and that T is well out of your price range, under 1" slings can be found around 30 dollars but they grow very slowly. And once again, they aren't like a dog, or even a snake or lizard, handling provides no benefit, but does carry risks.

In that price range, you're not going to find much. The best I can offer is Brachypelma vagans and Brachypelma albopilosum, maybe Aphonopelma hentzi. Grammostola pulchripes are great beginner species but get large, the only reason I mention them is they are cheap but once again they get large.

Like I said Brachypelma Vagans and Brachypelma albopilosum fit just about every criteria listed (except handling). But don't expect to get a juvie for 10 bucks. You can probably get 2-3" vagans for 20ish. The Aphonopelma hentzi are ridiculously cheap and IMO are great spiders. Just watch out for wild caught as they can carry parasites.

Last edited:

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Sounds like you're looking for a b albopilosum. The pulchripes are great T's but they get large (about 8") and the vagans can be pretty fast/skittish and feisty. My b vagans is around 2.5" and he sprints, flicks urticating hairs, and does a threat pose every once in a while usually just when I'm picking out left over food scraps from his enclosure. The b albopilosum has less of a chance to run, kick, or threat than the vagans and it gets to about 6". My 4" female thinks just about almost everything is food at first, but she's timid after a while in the process of rehousing her. They are much more "docile" when they are juveniles. I'm sure you can find one over 1" for under $20. They also look really cute and fuzzy :) I got my female at 3" for $30

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe i am being rude, but why want to buy a T if you don't have the 'moneyz' ?!
Wouldn't it be better and more rewarding to start saving some money, and then buy the T you really like and have sufficient funds to care for?

Stugy

Arachnolord
Maybe i am being rude, but why want to buy a T if you don't have the 'moneyz' ?!
Wouldn't it be better and more rewarding to start saving some money, and then buy the T you really like and have sufficient funds to care for?
I don't have any "moneyz" right now. I just created this thread so when I get some "moneyz" I will already know what I want to purchase :) I didn't find your comment rude as it was a reasonable thing to say.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Readily available at reasonable prices (like $10 lol i got no moneyz)
With all your criteria and your price point, you will not find a species that has all those qualities as I understand them. Any species that someone suggests, another person can demonstrate the exact opposite (Brachypelma and Grammastola for example). B. albo's can be quite flicky, and some aren't. it's a total crap shoot for example.
Your parameters need further refinement.

1. Space
2. Too big

Stugy

Arachnolord
With all your criteria and your price point, you will not find a species that has all those qualities. Any species that someone suggests, another person can demonstrate the exact opposite (Brachypelma and Grammastola for example). B. albo's can be quite flicky, and some aren't. it's a total crap shoot for example.
Your parameters need further refinement.

1. Space
2. Too big
The price part was just as an example :) I will never expect a live animal to be such a price but I was just saying for something that is normally reasonably priced. With all those qualities I absolutely do not expect an animal to have them all but it was pretty much a wish list as I have almost no knowledge of Ts. I just want to find a T that at least has some of those qualities so I know what to research.

cold blood

Staff member
B. albopilosum...there are other great ones, but they're either too big, or not cheap enough. B. albo basically IS your choice with the criteria you have.

I guess A. hentzi/chalcodes would also be good fits.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because you didn't read is original post and I did.:wideyed:

hint: its right between slow and reasonably priced;)
I guessed that but c'mon, we know that those beast size are always exagerated :troll:

Overall, IMO a L.parahybana suits well his criteria :-s

Stugy

Arachnolord
Well then I'll go for an L.parahybana :) Thanks guys. Sorry for my noobishness but I have no knowledge about tarantulas. There were many things that I said that weren't to be taken literally yet they were which disappointed me but whatever. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well then I'll go for an L.parahybana :) Thanks guys. Sorry for my noobishness but I have no knowledge about tarantulas. There were many things that I said that weren't to be taken literally yet they were which disappointed me but whatever. ;)
Good choice man :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be careful, from what I read... these things get as big as trash can lids... :anxious: :rolleyes:

I like my LP but she'll eventually need a 12x12x18 minimum(ish) enclosure. She's also pretty 'nervous' with some nasty hairs. If you don't plan on holding, I'd say go for it after doing some reading HERE.

NOT CARESHEETS PLEASE!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The price part was just as an example :) I will never expect a live animal to be such a price but I was just saying for something that is normally reasonably priced. With all those qualities I absolutely do not expect an animal to have them all but it was pretty much a wish list as I have almost no knowledge of Ts. I just want to find a T that at least has some of those qualities so I know what to research.
I would get E. sp. Red or E. sp. Yellow. I love mine all 3 of mine. My AF lives comfortably in an ExoTerra SMALL Breeding Box.

They fit all the criteria you listed. Slings usually average about 25-30$

Stugy

Arachnolord
Yeah I kinda through out the holding part but I would've really liked that as my whole family is largely arachnophobic (they respect arachnids but they will kill them on sight if found inside the house or scream for me so I can save it lol). I may be looking for something else and of course I will be getting all of my information from AB as I trust most of you with this kind of stuff. Hey and is there anything to say about P.imirnia? I know they are not for beginners but they look so nice and I've always preferred arboreal stuff anyways as it saves space. Would they be good to get when I get accustomed to owning a tarantula (like a second T kind of thing)? Please remember that I am a total noob at Ts so please be kind as it really isn't a good idea to go being rude to a new person as that scares people away :p. I prefer my scorpions and always will prefer them but I just want to see what the fuss is about the Ts, that's all. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree with Euathlus sp. red/yellow!

Hardy, easy to care for, usually docile, they bare handling, I always end up with my yellow climbing on my hands when trying to guide it back into its enclosure (it likes to explore). They are usually pretty affordable for slings/juvies and even adults. They look great too. Any not taking up much space is an added bonus.

I would also agree that LP is a good choice too although they can be quite defensive and are capable of growing very large.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I agree with Euathlus sp. red/yellow!

Hardy, easy to care for, usually docile, they bare handling, I always end up with my yellow climbing on my hands when trying to guide it back into its enclosure (it likes to explore). They are usually pretty affordable for slings/juvies and even adults. They look great too. Any not taking up much space is an added bonus.

I would also agree that LP is a good choice too although they can be quite defensive and are capable of growing very large.
Ok I think I'll check those out too! Maybe when I get more money I can get both species LP and Euathlus at the same time. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Slings usually average about 25-30$
And when he is old and grey he'll have T to be proud of. :p

Those are great Ts. They just grow sooooooooooooo slow and starting out with a sling as his only T would most likely cause insanity. :D