Thinking of Getting a Scorpion - Suggestions?

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Hey ya'll,

I was considering a P. imperator for a first scorpion, any other suggestions and/or would the imperator be a good pick?

Thanks in advance

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
definitely a great choice for a first scorpion! another good beginner species, would be Hadrurus arizonensis. they’re the opposite with care, being a desert species. But i find desert species easier to care for when it comes to beginners, and they’re a lot more active than your average P. imperator which is a plus because you will be able to actually view your scorpion pretty often instead of it being a pet hole.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
definitely a great choice for a first scorpion! another good beginner species, would be Hadrurus arizonensis. they’re the opposite with care, being a desert species. But i find desert species easier to care for when it comes to beginners, and they’re a lot more active than your average P. imperator which is a plus because you will be able to actually view your scorpion pretty often instead of it being a pet hole.
Thank you! I will put it on my list for consideration :). Also I forgot to ask, do people typically buy their scorpions as a sling like they do with tarantulas, or is it better to get an adult?

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I will put it on my list for consideration :). Also I forgot to ask, do people typically buy their scorpions as a sling like they do with tarantulas, or is it better to get an adult?
Some people prefer slings, others don’t like to wait for their scorpions to mature. if you’re not worried about the size and you have the patience, getting a sling is always awesome, since you get to observe it growing yourself and it’s pretty rewarding in the end when it finally does mature. As for getting specimens that are already adult, there’s nothing wrong with that at all, there’s always that slim chance of it being closer to the end of it’s lifespan than you’d like, but i’ve never had that issue before. it all depends on what you want, no answer is wrong!

edit: i would like to add if you decide on Hadrurus arizonensis, i’d suggest getting an adult specimen as their slings have been known to be very difficult to raise in captivity. of course it can be done, but a lot of people have struggled with it.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Heterometrus spp., they are nice, quite large, hardy and easy to care, also cheap and easy to find. :)

vexhex89

Arachnopeon
pandinus species are great, personally my favorite genus of large black scorpions.
Emps, dictators, red claws, cave claws