Thinking bout getting theraphosa

PIaf94

Arachnopeon
I'm considering getting a theraphosa species this weekend at a local reptile show happening but I can't bring myself to deal with uricating hairs anymore! I heard they tend to have the worst out of all the new world tarantulas. Wondering what are people's experience with them?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm considering getting a theraphosa species this weekend at a local reptile show happening but I can't bring myself to deal with uricating hairs anymore!
Ah ah, "anymore" you said? :)
You can't, man. If you decide to buy one, sooner or later you will end in contact with those hairs, trust me :-s

I've never owned one, sadly, because I refuse to spend that much for a Theraphosidae (it's one of my views about this hobby, T's prices should remain IMO at an honest fair enough level) and here in Italy even slings are quite priced, but as far as I know that genus hairs are annoying.

Still, it's always a subjective issue. I have, among other NW's supposed nasty hair kickers, a M.robustum, and when I perform routine maintenance I end with those in the fingers, sometimes hand (she leaves the hairs on the surface, near the burrow as secondary defence) and I love that red/itchy sensation, I'm not sensitive to those at all :-s

Others are sensitive more to genus Nhandu hairs... here a man gave away three T's of that genus an helluva of time ago due to that. Depends.

It's not written that those are inevitably the worst hairs for everyone, anyway. However the general concern about hairs is IMO exagerated, a bit of red & itch never killed anyone uh, we are Mans, Jesus Christ :-s

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
If you buy something like this from home depot (or make up your own with long sweatshirts, and a shirt around your face) you can wear this every time you have deal with the hairs you should be fine:

I have a juvenile stirmi pair that I've had for about two weeks and never got haired. However theres a first time for everything. Lol..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Muahahahahahahahahah, Christ ^^^^

Not even a 'cleaning squad' after a Mafia massacre wear those sort of suits :-s

Now that's what I call exageration u_u

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ok listen to him and don't wear long sleeve anything if you end up with those hairs on your arms or worse in in your face you'll regret it.

@Poec54 will even tell you that he has certain gear (not this exact thing) when it comes to dealing with Theraposa hairs... My basic point was keep yourself covered at all times no matter what you choose to wear.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok listen to him and don't wear long sleeve anything if you end up with those hairs on your arms or worse in in your face you'll regret it.
I haven't said that man. I have not said that him/her (Plaf94) shouldn't use some sort of protection if he/she wants against genus Theraphosa hairs. I have only said that IMO that suit is an exageration. Christ, Natives of South America rain forest (if someone still exists u_u) half naked, grab those for breakfast :)

@Poec54 will even tell you that he has certain gear (not this exact thing) when it comes to dealing with Theraposa hairs...
Well, with all the respect for Poec54, if him (like we say in Italy as adage) decide to jump in the well, it's not that I have to follow him uh. Everyone use what suits better for him/her. Someone could been more sensitive than others. As I've said, for routine maintenance, something like that is exagerate, Theraphosa or not... for packing for ship, what... a Tesla 'Fallout' armor? :-s

My basic point was keep yourself covered at all times no matter what you choose to wear.
Ok, that's right.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You will have to bare the hairs at some point. They can kick off quite the clouds.

I have been given a cloud while rehousing. I have been kicked at by many NW but the ones that give me bad reaction are Thrixopelma an Nhandu.

I believe the CSI suit is a bit overboard.

I would advise wearing a set of swiming goggles as the eyes are most at risk. Also some rubber gloves an long sleeved top.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I've never owned one, sadly, because I refuse to spend that much for a Theraphosidae (it's one of my views about this hobby, T's prices should remain IMO at an honest fair enough level) and here in Italy even slings are quite priced, but as far as I know that genus hairs are annoying.
Spot-on, Chris!

I have never buy a Theraphosa for the same reason.

There are many WC specimens available on the market so the price I think is rip off. I also, believe you should not have to pay those silly prices for a big brown spider. There are plenty of other large brown species available for a fraction of the price. I have no idea why they are so popular in the UK.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Honestly, it boils down to this. If you don't like barking, then don't buy a dog. If you're not willing to handle the setae, then don't get a T. stirmi. They literally kick hair at the smallest disturbance - I've seen mine kick just as I walked by. Their setae is nasty, and you're going to get haired eventually.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I agree with Eulersk if you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen..

While gloves and or a murder suit will protect you while your working with the T or enclosure it's not going to keep the hairs from settling in your house or blowing around when you turn on a fan..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They don't 'tend' to have the worst hairs, they do have the worst hairs. they don't itch, they burn. If you have a problem with urticating hairs, why even start this thread? Theraphosa are an obvious 'no go.' There's hundreds of other species to choose from.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Even if they do not kick, they drop most of the hairs (for protection) prior to molting...the hairs are forever present even if you happen to get a calm one FYI.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My big girl stirmi I've had for a few months has made her burrow into a log a small golf ball sized opening lined with web. I recently learned she can shoot hairs out of that little hole approximately 4-6 feet with good accuracy. T hairs don't itch my skin too much even this big girl but I am not wanting that to get into my eyes ever.