thinking about getting this tank.. suggestions on which T to put in it?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Actually it's quite an awsome idea to use that as a tank... Just because you didn't think of it doesn't mean you have to shoot him down for trying. What's up with all these angry people these days. Dang, if you have nothing possitive to say, please refrain from speaking :embarrassed:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually it's quite an awsome idea to use that as a tank... Just because you didn't think of it doesn't mean you have to shoot him down for trying. What's up with all these angry people these days. Dang, if you have nothing possitive to say, please refrain from speaking :embarrassed:
He asked for opinions and he got them, both positive and negative. Constructive criticism is one of the biggest assets of this site, if can people learn how to accept it. No one spoke out in anger and honestly, you shouldn't try to tell people not to post.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dont listen to experienced people is what you are saying. New keepers should listen and take advice seriously even if they are "possitive" or not.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
i appreciate the opinions of others on this tank which is why i asked.. yeah there isnt TOO much space in there.. but i was planning on putting a c. elgans in there, so i wouldnt need a ton of space..

i havnt bought the container yet, and im still tossing around ideas as to what to use, the elegans im getting are TINY, like 1/8-1/4".. so id have a lil time to decide

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I was referring to faulks first post, as how it was completely pointless with no information whatsoever to back his reasoning up other than "useless ventilation" there are a few ways proper ventilation requirements could be met as well as making the lid "escape proof"... Just make a mesh piece to go over it and maybe dress the edge up with a piece of wire. make it a little bigger than the whole and use one of those little spinny dealy bobs as your locking mechanism and there you have it. A nice ventilated lid that is structurally strong and quite inescapable. Would I personally use this as a tank, no... The cons outway the pros. But it is very possible to use this as an enclosure. So here are a few pros and cons from me

Pros:
-Relatively cheap, easy to make enclosure.
-Very cool and out of the ordinary.
-Perfect size for slings, dwarfs and some true spiders.

Cons:
-Hangs on the wall by small screw/nail. Could be knocked off the wall with little effort and there ya have it, dead T.
-The shape is not very ideal, and getting basic things such as hide or water bowl could prove somewhat difficult.
-It could also be difficult to do regular cage maintenance seeing as how the hole is fairly small.

And sorry if you were not trying to come off like a jerk, just the way I read/interpreted it sounded like that's what you were going for.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pros:
-Relatively cheap, easy to make enclosure.
-Very cool and out of the ordinary.
-Perfect size for slings, dwarfs and some true spiders.

Cons:
-Hangs on the wall by small screw/nail. Could be knocked off the wall with little effort and there ya have it, dead T.
-The shape is not very ideal, and getting basic things such as hide or water bowl could prove somewhat difficult.
-It could also be difficult to do regular cage maintenance seeing as how the hole is fairly small.
Honestly, the cons heavily outweigh the pros.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're going to do it anyways, I'd say try an emperor scorpling. As far as I know and have observed, they can't climb smooth vertical surfaces. You wouldn't need a lid then. Probably would still be a good idea however.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
2oCHEVYo0: You think holes in the top lid is enough ventilation?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Id be too afraid of it falling in the event of something happening that would cause that.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well I didn't say a few holes, I said a mesh screen... And yes, a mesh screen covering the hole on top would more than suffice for ventilation. I have bigger tanks than that that get less ventilation and my T's are doing GREAT!!! Just look at the size of the hole on top and compare it to the rest of the enclosure. With 2-3" of substrate it would be MORE than enough ventilation and everyone would agree with me over you I'm sure.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I didn't say a few holes, I said a mesh screen... And yes, a mesh screen covering the hole on top would more than suffice for ventilation. I have bigger tanks than that that get less ventilation and my T's are doing GREAT!!! Just look at the size of the hole on top and compare it to the rest of the enclosure. With 2-3" of substrate it would be MORE than enough ventilation and everyone would agree with me over you I'm sure.
If there is just ventilation at the top there will be no or very poor circulation of air.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well I spose I had better get my B. Smithi out of its aquarium enclosure STAT because it only had a mesh screen on the top! lol, seriously... No very untrue. While having arguably less than an enclosure that has holes drilled on either side, it will still have plenty of circulation for air. Air doesn't just sit in one place all day, it moves around you know. lol

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I spose I had better get my B. Smithi out of its aquarium enclosure STAT because it only had a mesh screen on the top! lol, seriously... No very untrue. While having arguably less than an enclosure that has holes drilled on either side, it will still have plenty of circulation for air. Air doesn't just sit in one place all day, it moves around you know. lol
Well the "lol" is on you. In a humid enclosure the air can or will become stagnant. The air will not circulate much if there is ony ventilation at the top and the walls around it are air tight. Why do you think most terrariums have ventilation on one of the sides and at the top? could it be to get a good circulation of air?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I understand that it will do that, but I have yet to have it happend to any of my top ventilated enclosures. And I got some the are recommended to keep quite humid. As long as you dont over due the water it will be fine.

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
A single Holothele Incei comes to mind. I hope it does not turn ugly if you do add a lid. Good luck

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpions

I have a case of those tanks! I think I am gonna put scorpions in there, they can't climb out and making a lid for those isn't gonna be easy due to the angle. Thanks for the idea!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Some tiny circular vents could be installed in those. Of course you would need a dremel tool. It would be a hard to modify those without breaking it.