thinking about getting this tank.. suggestions on which T to put in it?

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
ok so i keep looking at this tank every time im at the store.. its a hanging half "bubble" beta bowl and i think itd be perfect for a smaller T.. the question is what would be a good T to put in it?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Something that likes wall space... or a burrower. With a little lid over the top, and some packed substrate, wonder if you couldn't get a view into a burrowing den for one.

One of the dwarf species?

I've been looking at the hanging ballot boxes and eyeing them...

Marga

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
ive got a H. Vonwirthi and i would like to either get a small Scorp, or a dwarf T for it.. burrowing Ts are "nice" but i think a Holothele sp or another "smaller" T would look better

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first thought that strikes me is a small arboreal.. The wall space would be excellent for that.. Like an A.minatrix.. They grow to around 3,5 inches..

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
C. Elegans all the way! Those are pretty neat though. I saw a coffee table that had a huge bowl like that made for fish and thought... I sure could put a big spider in there :D I mean who wouldn't want a cool terrarium inside there coffee table to look at with a monstrous T. Blondi just chillin in there :D Or maybe do a desert setup with a Brachy.

A small Avic in there WOULD look great!!!

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a friend who had an enormous colony of P. Imperators in his coffeetable. I've wanted one ever since...the coffeetable enclosure, that is. Got the scorpions.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Put an A. minatrix or A. diversipes in there! Any Avic that is small would be great. Glue a water dish in there somehow and use decorative moss for sub. Maybe a couple pieces of grape vine. A burrower would work but it would just be a bunch of dirt on the wall IMO.

Sutekh

Arachnopeon
Wondering how many Holothele sp. Columbia you could put in there? Even just one would be pretty dramatic.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't suggest any species, but the general size for that 'tank' (I use the term lightly, because I find them cruel for fish) is 10" around and a few inches deep...

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How would you close it so your T won't escape? If you could work that out, it's quite unique and should help with over-crowded shelves. :) Avics might not be the best occupant because of the way they decorate their enclosure walls with poop but I could see any of the dwarfs in there.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
How would you close it so your T won't escape? If you could work that out, it's quite unique and should help with over-crowded shelves. :) Avics might not be the best occupant because of the way they decorate their enclosure walls with poop but I could see any of the dwarfs in there.
could put a small screen over the opening? lol

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Useless vetilation, dont use it. Buy a real tank instead if you are a serious keeper.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
Useless vetilation, dont use it. Buy a real tank instead if you are a serious keeper.
lol if you have no constructive criticism then please leave..

and how does using a nontraditional tank me not a "serious keeper"??

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lol if you have no constructive criticism then please leave..

and how does using a nontraditional tank me not a "serious keeper"??
I think it will be to hard to do a proper set up in that wall bowl. Besides that you wont get a good air circulation in there.
Im not saying that you are not serious but you should always keep the spiders in the best way possible and i dont think that wall aquarium will be a good tank.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly that little plastic bubble is not a good idea for a fish, or a tarantula. If you hang that light plastic thing on the wall, what happens if it falls off? Cracked plastic and probably a dead T. The only thing it really could be used for would be a sling, but once again, it just isn't a good idea. There has already been a thread on these enclosures before, I will try and find it for you. Also, trying to fashion a suitable lid would be difficult to say the least and making it escape proof is debatable.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
i still fail to see how a "small" tank is worse then say keeping your slings in small deli container.. etc.

do they not get proper ventilation also?? :?

you wouldnt need a ton of room for a 1.5" C. Elegans

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i still fail to see how a "small" tank is worse then say keeping your slings in small deli container.. etc.
We don't keep our slings in deli containers, because it just seems like too little space to us; it is just a personal preference though. You can probably melt holes in that bubble, so ventilation wouldn't be my primary concern. I don't know if the OP in the other thread ever actually set up a T in one, maybe you can ask him. I am pretty sure he is still around.:)