Thinking about getting a ferret...

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I'm thinking of getting a ferret, as my girlfriend used to have one when she was younger and I want to make her happy. But I do have some questions about them, as I would never buy a pet (especially this kind) without knowing what I'm getting into.

1) Do I need to keep my ferret away from my tarantulas/snakes?

2) How often should I bathe it and take it out for social time?

3) I live in an apartment, do they chew on furniture or walls or anything like that?

4) Are they good about peeing in their "toilet area"?

Thanks guys. I'm putting a lot of thought into this.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I had my ferret about 30 years ago :eek: . He was a great pet, one of the few I've ever had that was fun to just sit and watch. As far as your questions:

1. They are extremely curious and are effective predators, so I would definitely keep potential prey items out of reach.

2. I bathed him about once per week. It was not an ordeal-he actually seemed to enjoy it.

3. Mine never gnawed anything. The only furniture problem I had with him was stashing food in the couch. They are notorious hoarders.

4. They typically pick a corner, hence the corner litterboxes (which weren't around when I had one). Sometimes they want to use multiple corners, but other than that, they're not terribly messy.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had them and loved them, but they are VERY curious and get into EVERYTHING. They like a ground dwelling elongated monkey. Also ,on a down note they get renal cancer often because of the genetics.

Answer:
#1. yes, absolutely, hands down no exceptions. Mine used to beat the crap out of my cat, like a monkey on crack.

#2. they are very social, I did not bath mine often.

#3. mine did not chew on furniture, they will get into anything they can reach, i.e.. cd racks, closets, cabinet (they can open them)basically child proof your home.

#4. They are good ime at using the litter box.

Someone else might have more to say on the subject but theres my experience:)

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently have two ferrets and they are pretty cool. I have big cage with tunnels, platforms and hammocks. They love life ;-)

They are litter trainable, very predatory and mine almost never leave their cages. If they are out, they will poop somewhere. We never bathe ours, you can smell them but it isn't bad, almost a pleasant smell to me.

They are funny little critters, ours were rescues. Never regretted it

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What about the smell? I heard you can get them descented. *Edit* Okay, thanks ptviperz. Was wondering about the smell of these animals.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I always see the ferrets in Petco and they look so cute. I wonder, though. If they're so hard to take care of and need a lot of social care then how does a chain store like Petco take care of them?

I dunno. Sometimes I think the amount of care animals need can get exaggerated. Sometimes I read someone's opinion on the amount of care an animal needs and I think, "Who would put themselves through this..."

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What about the smell? I heard you can get them descented.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I always see the ferrets in Petco and they look so cute. I wonder, though. If they're so hard to take care of and need a lot of social care then how does a chair store like Petco take care of them?
short term or they die or something......its petco, dont get me started:)

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just find it weird. All these animals that are high maintenance, you can buy readily in Petco. And you think, "If these pothead high school kids can look after this animal, so could I." I'm talking veiled chameleons, green iguanas, ferrets, turtles, etc.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just find it weird. All these animals that are high maintenance, you can buy readily in Petco. And you think, "If these pothead high school kids can look after this animal, so could I." I'm talking veiled chameleons, green iguanas, ferrets, turtles, etc.
The attrition rate is huge with those animals really its sad, remember its all about the FRICKEN bottom line.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
You can have them descented in that you can have their anal glands removed. It cuts down on their aroma, but doesn't completely remove it. I didn't have this done to mine, and he had problems with those anal glands getting impacted. Nobody knew anything about them back then.

I agree with ptviperz that their aroma is not really an objectionable one, and I think crpy's description of them as ground dwelling monkeys is dead on. I don't consider them high maintenence. If it weren't for my pixie bob, I'd have one right now. I think the only real down side to them is their relatively short life span-mine died of cancer at the age of 3. However, the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long...:(

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keep in mind that most ferrets in US pet stores come from Marshall Farms, who descents and spays/neuters their ferrets before they send them out. You can tell if your furro is from Marshall if they have two little dots tattooed on their (I believe) right ear.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep in mind that most ferrets in US pet stores come from Marshall Farms, who descents and spays/neuters their ferrets before they send them out. You can tell if your furro is from Marshall if they have two little dots tattooed on their (I believe) right ear.
Am I correct in saying that if you see a ferret in a pet shop ,it is most likely from marshal farms. Also I had a person tell me thats where the cancer gene came from. True or false.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Am I correct in saying that if you see a ferret in a pet shop ,it is most likely from marshal farms. Also I had a person tell me thats where the cancer gene came from. True or false.
That's what I heard about Marshall ferrets. They sound like a fragile animal, health-wise. Most sound like they die within 5 years.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a baby one and brought it home and my female attacked it and it let loose with the scent gland. Not nice at all! If you get a female you need to get her fixed. Once they go into heat you need to breed or spade. If not they will get a fatal infection. Mine were very friendly but it's a high maitenance animal.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha. Maybe I'll go with a Bearded Dragon instead.

My apartment's landlord actually doesn't want me to have pets. But I do have tarantulas, and plan on purchasing my first snake. These animals, for me, are better in apartments than dogs/cats/ferrets that run around and stink up the place even if it's at a minimal degree.

I even told her I wanted a fish and she told me there was a good chance the bowl might tip over, flooding the apartment.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha. Maybe I'll go with a Bearded Dragon instead.

My apartment's landlord actually doesn't want me to have pets. But I do have tarantulas, and plan on purchasing my first snake. These animals, for me, are better in apartments than dogs/cats/ferrets that run around and stink up the place even if it's at a minimal degree.

I even told her I wanted a fish and she told me there was a good chance the bowl might tip over, flooding the apartment.
.........Bowl, lol

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, isn't she smart?

I could probably convince her to let me keep a small pet, as the tenant before me did. But I don't feel like engaging in a 2 hour conversation (when I first moved in, she talked to me for 3 hours about witchcraft and religion and whatever else sprang up in her weird mind).

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the answers, guys. I always see the ferrets in Petco and they look so cute. I wonder, though. If they're so hard to take care of and need a lot of social care then how does a chain store like Petco take care of them?
They don't. I don't know about your petco, but every one I've been in keeps them 24/7 in large groups in small, poorly-ventilated, rarely-cleaned cages. They're covered in fleas, their water bowls are disgusting, and toys are few and far between.

You basically shouldn't buy anything living from petco.

Sometimes I think the amount of care animals need can get exaggerated. Sometimes I read someone's opinion on the amount of care an animal needs and I think, "Who would put themselves through this..."
People who care about their pet/s being healthy and happy, instead of just doing the bare minimum needed to keep them alive for a brief period of time (before probably dying early of health issues that could have been prevented with proper care)?

Those animals are not healthy. They are also being replaced regularly due to dying off or being foisted on someone who doesn't know or care that they're buying a sickly animal.

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's what I heard about Marshall ferrets. They sound like a fragile animal, health-wise. Most sound like they die within 5 years.
Cancer, I'm not too sure. I do know that both of my boys are almost 7 years old, and while one has an adrenal gland issue, he's being medicated for it and otherwise is as healthy as a horse.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would think about it for a long time man ferrets are cool but they are alot of work. they need alot of out of the cage play you need to clean the litter box out daily ect.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would think about it for a long time man ferrets are cool but they are alot of work. they need alot of out of the cage play you need to clean the litter box out daily ect.
Not true at all, I clean my ferrets litter pan every Sunday and mine have a big play cage that they rarely leave. Happiest little buggers you ever saw.