Thinking about being a first time centi owner

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey everyone, i have been thinking about getting one centipede. however i seem to have a phobia of them which is why i want to get one. can anyone give me some pointers on where to get them or which you would recommmend a certain sp. i can tell you handling for me is out of the question lol but i want one because even though they make my flesh crawl i am fascinated by them. any info would greatly be appreciated.

Gui

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey everyone, i have been thinking about getting one centipede. however i seem to have a phobia of them which is why i want to get one. can anyone give me some pointers on where to get them or which you would recommmend a certain sp. i can tell you handling for me is out of the question lol but i want one because even though they make my flesh crawl i am fascinated by them. any info would greatly be appreciated.

Gui

The standard starter centi that I reccomend for everyone is Scolopendra heros. I keep mine in a dry tank and moisten it up whenever it looks like it's in premoult by overflowing the water dish.

The centipede can grow up to 9", but usually maxes out around 7 or 8.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the chances are that eventually the pede will escape no matter what you do to secure the tank so why not try and overcome your phobia before you think of getting one?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the chances are that eventually the pede will escape no matter what you do to secure the tank so why not try and overcome your phobia before you think of getting one?
Man oh man, that's not gonna be the case with me. I'd hate to think of my 8 inch Subspinipes boogin' around the house at night.

I agree with Cheshire, Heros seem to be one of the best beginner Pedes. I think that is going to be the next one added to the collection.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
heros have medium to strong venom for centipedes, regarding reactivity in humans. plus at least one subspecies is known to have cytotoxic components to their venom

egyptian emerald (Scolopendra morsitans) and blue ring leg (Ethmostigmus trigonopodus) both have bit me 50+ times a piece and i have never had a reaction to emeralds and only 2 times have blue rings given me a reaction (which might have been a secondary infection and not venom action)... BUT different locality or color variants (most likely) of both those species put the wicked hurt on me, so i guess you never really can be 100% sure (or really even close, actually) with what a bite is going to do

BUT... if you are even moderately clever and good at researching (on here if no place else) you need never come in direct contact with the cents and so venom should in theory be a non-issue.

also, if you are moderately clever and good at researching in no way, shape, or form should your cent escape! no offense to those with escapees... but they are only good at escaping bad caging solutions. a screw top lid plastic jug with pin holes for vent is utterly inescapable, full stop.

BUT (heh, what can i say... i like butts) if you just throw some random species into some random cage potentially bad things can happen.

they really are amazing creatures and i would encourage you to research a lot and get one if you still want to. no species are deadly, per se, really... and they can't glasswalk like tarantulas so they aren't actually that big of a deal... if you are moderately clever and good at researching ;)

Last edited: