thinking about another t need help

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok just like alot of you all ive also am slowly getting hooked on this trade. My girlfriend of all people is actualy helping me do this so she also thinks she needs a t of her own. I have a singapore blue as a sling right now and i want to get her something pretty cool she can have...but i need some boundries like...It cant be a pet hole,not too aggressive , but i guess im trying to say a girly spider...lol

i thought about a panama blond (psalmopoeus pulcher) or maybe this Purple Treespider (Tapinauchenius purpureus) im looking at on the front cover of this spider book(tarantulas and other arachnids by samuel d marshall) agin im not shure and ofcourse my girl likes all the ones that are crazy looking and expensive like the Emerald skeleton.

so you all tell me what shoud i be looking for

thanks

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just about any Brachypelma can be nice. They're very colorful and often out on display. The urticating hairs can be a little worse than average though and sometimes they're a little too skittish to handle safely (safely for the spider i mean). For a girly spider Avics are sweet cuz they're arguably the cutest, fuzziest genus out there. They can be a little delicate though.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would steer away from the P. pulcher. They can be pretty defensive. I would go with an Avic or a Brachy. All are colorful and usually docile.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also agree with the others. Avics and Brachys (Avics especially but I'm biased :D )

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There seems to be this unwritten rule that the coolest looking species are also the hardest to keep. Take h. lividum (cobalt blue) One of the coolest looking t's there is. Also very defensive, trigger happy w/ the fangs, complicated humidity req's and a pet hole. Poecilotheria's are super pretty but feisty, speedy and strong venom. G rosea? grey and docile as a drunk kitten.

My point is don't pick a tarantula based solely on how it looks. The beginners first consideration should be the animals keeping requirements, temperament then appearance. Often in nature bright colors (except for birds) mean "Beware!! I am venomous and if you f%@k with me i'll bite the crap outta you!!"

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have to agree that Avics are a great choice for a first T. They are awefully cute!! i love Brachys so that's always a top choice for me.

Another thought might be the G. aureostriata. i know you wanted something flashy and friendly that displays well. While this one may not have flashy colors it was much prettier in person than i was expecting at all. i got mine as part of a group purchase and never expected to like her so much!! It is also my most docile and sweetest T. She makes a great display T because she is never in her hide and is often found remodeling her whole enclosure day or night!! Almost forgot, very aggressive eater so that's fun to watch too. This isn't an expensive T either and is hardy. Oh yeah, at 8" they're pretty impressive looking too!! :D

Trust me, some of those flashy, fast, unpredictable, aggressive T's still make me jump from time to time and before returning to the hobby i had T's for many, many years. Besides, it's not like you're each getting your one and only T. This is just the beginning of a serious addiction!!! :eek: Get a G. aureostriata that's big enough to feel like she has a real T and then get a few assorted slings. It's a blast to watch the slings molt and grow like weeds!!

Let us know what you decide. T shopping is fun!! {D

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i have to say, nobody (ok most people) don't get these animals for their charming personalities or so they have something they can cuddle up with on the couch. and i've owned most kinds of animals, except spiders because they're icky...but then "worm" got me into them and now i think they're pretty cool, but just to set the record strait i'm not like oooh i want a cute one or i want one thats extremely aggressive just because it looks pretty, i just got so involved with our last couple t's (an OBT and the singapore blue) that i thought it was time i had my own baby. i don't handle them (aside from them being aggressive) b/c i'm allergic anyway, so what i really want is...
a) something that looks interesting and is arboreal (as an adult)
b) something that won't come after my hand if i stick it in there to fish out a cricket (silly OBT)
so with that in mind, i'll look into the avics and brachypelmas, and do some research, i appreciate the feedback!

we were looking into the panama blond because i'm panamanian, and it was kinda a dorky moment but sparked my interest nonetheless

ps worm just posted a new video of our baby blue having a cricket, shes about 2" now {D on youtube

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
g.aureo or g.rosea would be great additions. i would warn against the panama blond because they really don't have a demeanor that can be grouped into one category. I've personally witnessed a few that have given me threat postures and not to mention their quickness.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brachypelmas are terrestrials so if you want arboreal they're out. There are plenty of different avics out there. Avicularia are some of the best looking t's in my opinion. Most are a little on the small side and all are way on the fuzzy side. What part of maryland are you in? I'm eastern shore.

There's a reptile show tomorrow in Havre de Grace (north of baltimore) that i'm planning on going to. I've never been but i assume there will be plenty of t's there as well. If you're nearby that would be about the best place possible to buy another t.

http://www.mdreptilefarm.com/shows/

Has anybody here been to this show in the past? How is it?

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah ive had a few differnt t's myself and got to say the p.murinus has got to be one of the most aggressive ive had but only when pissed off, other than that a spiders a spider he just sits there most of the time. But a cool web builder. See im raising a singapore blue right now so i figured if i could make the panama blond work that would be great cuz of the same or similar living habitats and temps.
But i have noted a couple of people that have the H.lavidium and all have said cool looking when they come out but other than that a pet hole.

thanks for the advise guys...but got to ask whats so bad about the skeletons if i can get one of those....like the emerald or the chaco golen knee?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello there Worm's Girl. Here in Australia, I'm after my first tarantula as well...one with specific requirements of course. I'm looking for one that's been captive bred and the trouble is finding a breeder who just happens to have the right species that I want.

"ps worm just posted a new video of our baby blue having a cricket, shes about 2" now on youtube."

Cool. Post a link!

Last edited:

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if its the i think mars (?) expo (mostly reptiles) its not bad. we went up to PA to one to buy a cobalt blue but when we got there they only had a pink toe, a zebra, and the obt, which we bought in the dead of winter but anyway. most the animals there were snakes and alligators, some birds (nice looking cockatiels {D ) and lots of other slimy things. good show, probably couldve been better BUT it was the middle of winter so maybe with this warmer weather owners will show off more. there is another major east coast show but i think its mostly in florida and thats susposed to be pretty wild. we're in columbia, md so we might have to stop by havre degrace tomorrow, thanks for the info!