Think this is P. manicata?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm just not sure - it's rather big for manicata, about 4.5" legspan. Specimen I've seen before were smaller and more rosehair-like. Also, the mirror is VERY rectangular. Not oval or rounded at all, very square-edged. Kind of funky. This specimen molted within the last few days.

Comments?

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Here's a photo of mine for comparison. I have seen larger specimens, so I don't think the size of yours necessarily rules it out.

BTW, my understanding is that the name for this species has been changed to P. scrofa. If I understand wrong, somebody please correct me!

Joy

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yours looks a lot like it, Joy (down to the funky urticating patch shape). I do think this is P. scrofa... Although the spiders I'd seen as 'P. manicata' back in the mid-90's looked more like miniature G. rosea's.

Nice to see you here! :D

b

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Yours looks a lot like it, Joy (down to the funky urticating patch shape). I do think this is P. scrofa... Although the spiders I'd seen as 'P. manicata' back in the mid-90's looked more like miniature G. rosea's.

Nice to see you here! :D

b
Nice to be here! :)

Joy

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Speaking of P. scrofa, what an underrated T! I think these should become the next rosehairs (I though chacos were going to do that, but they seem to have dwindled in the market). They're definitely prettier.

b

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I think these should become the next rosehairs (I though chacos were going to do that, but they seem to have dwindled in the market).
If something is going to become the next rosehair it has to be both as common and easy to capture as the rosehair. The rosehair is what it is in the market place because we can import 50,000 a year for about $1-$2 each from the exporter. Find another T you can import that cheaply and in those numbers and doesn't try to eat small children and you'll have your next rosehair, otherwise, it's just another cool T that the mainstream will never have that much access to.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm unaware of how common P. scrofa are in their environment, but they do seem to be popping up more and more. I thought Chile was shutting down, so no more roseas?

These little guys seem fairly moderate of temper... Interestingly, seems to prefer the 'Avicularia wipe method' for urticating hairs rather than kicking, at least at first. I've never seen a terrestrial spider do that.

b

RegalReptiles

Arachnopeon
Rose Hair Importation, in reply to Code Monkey

Hi guys,

I agree with you Paraphysa scrofa is quite underated.
The Chaco Golden Stripes (Grammostola auerostriata) are quite spotty, they come in then they disapear for 6 months, however at times they do come in, in batches of 500-1000-1500 specimens.

On the Rose Hairs though, there are more thna 50,000 a year being imported. When I myself import Rose Hairs I have to bring in 2000. The people in Chile have pretty much a 2000 rose hair minimum. I mean these guys are shipping probably 500,000 Rose Hairs a year. I honestly do not know the exact figure. We get 8-10 shipments from these guys a year, and thats just us. We are one of the largest wholesalers for Inverts. in the country however, there are 10000's of petshops that only buy 1 Rose Hiar ever month, or couple of weeks. In that case they buy from one of the mainstream reptile wholesalers, were they can pick up 10 Iguanas, 4 Emperors, 1 Sulcatta Tortise, 1 Rose Hair, 4 Sudan Plated Lizards, etc etc etc bread and butter stuff. I have a $200 minimum purchase, so alot of petshops don't buy from me because they can't. So there are 1000's of Rose Hair sales right there.

Ok Ok I have ranted much to much, just figured I would drop a short note, ended up writing a novel.

Sorry guys,

-Pat