Think my sling is dead!!!

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. henzti sling looked fine when I checked on him this morning - same black spot on his but as posted Friday in the "Does this look like premolt" thread. Now I think it's dead! I went to check on him a few minutes ago, and he's pale and shriveled on his side. I can't see the black spot any more, and he's not moving even the slightest bit. I'm going to leave him alone til in the morning and check him again in case this is what a molt looks like (never having seen one). He just LOOKS dead. I feel SOO awful. This sling was a gift, and I did everything I thought I was supposed to do to take care of it correctly. Maybe I'm not meant to be a T keeper. :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are the legs curled under it's body?
If not I really think he might be molting right now. So don't touch him and wait it out. Being as he is so small it should not take to long maybe a few hours to complete the molt.

Is there any way you can take a picture?

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are the legs curled under it's body?
If not I really think he might be molting right now. So don't touch him and wait it out. Being as he is so small it should not take to long maybe a few hours to complete the molt.

Is there any way you can take a picture?
My camera is at school (dang it). He was kind of up against the wall of the container and when I opened, he kind of fell over on his side. I think I might have accidentally touched him when I panicked. :wall:

I REALLY hope he's just molting. I was so excited when I posted the pictures and everyone said it looked like premolt. Do they seem dead when they molt, and if so how on earth do you guys handle this without valium!

I'm so so so hoping I didn't do something to cause his death.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He was kind of up against the wall of the container and when I opened, he kind of fell over on his side
Ok now I am almost positive he is molting. Just leave him be I doubt you hurt him, check on him every ten minutes or so, I say this because you might be able to catch the molt! But if you have to go to bed or something it's no big deal, he should be sporting his new skin in the morning.

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yippeee

I just went and checked on him again, and he's pulling is legs out of the exuvium!!!!!!!! Not only isn't he dead, but I got to see it! Oh my GOODNESS that was a stressful hour! I'm so glad I had you guys or I'd have thought for sure he was a goner!!!!!

{D :worship: :clap:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now that the leg part has started it should not be much longer before he is 100% out of the old skin. And he should flip over maybe an hour after he's out. Maybe less.

Congrats on your first molt! :clap:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate how the spiders can torment you during molt.. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience. I'm glad it made it! And even if it died, never give up the hobby because of it ;)

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The first time I saw this process I thought the same thing. Dead. It is amazing to watch even after seeing it over and over. Never gets old.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
glad everything was ok. and i agree with others- even if it dies, this shouldn't discourage you from the hobby. slings are especially prone to randomly dying. and i'll admit, i cry every time i lose one. but the reward you get from keeping them far outweighs the down times. :)

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm glad your little guy is OK so far. Make sure to let us know how he's doing once it's all done! I'm jealous that you get to see your first one. My little lady did it while I was asleep. :) Congrats!

ullydin

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the molt! :worship:

I've been keeping T's for a little over a year and the closest I've come to seing a molt was my Irminia flipping back on it's feet last week...
:wall:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and imagine how many poor lill buggers been tossed in waste basket mistaken for been dead
best thing let em be and give em time
glad to see a happy ending to this event

rochi69

Arachnopeon
if you see mites crawling in your T it's a sign that he is dead. but if it is'nt moving and definitely not in a death curl. keep your hopes up. congratulations for the first molt. add more sling to see molts often. :)

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, I was nervous too!

I remember when my cancerides molted (my first visual molt) I turned down the volume on the tellie despite a good movie and I turned down sex in the sofa as it might disturb the T 2 meters away {D {D {D

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha, I was nervous too!

I remember when my cancerides molted (my first visual molt) I turned down the volume on the tellie despite a good movie and I turned down sex in the sofa as it might disturb the T 2 meters away {D {D {D
Turned down sex on the sofa?? Now, that's will power.

Glad your henzi is okay, and yes, you need more Ts to witness more molts.

Fredster
Not as lean or mean,
Still U.S. Marine

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, I was nervous too!

I better not tell my hub that story. Then he'd be REALLY not into me having T's.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well it was only that one time, haha. I've learned that it's a stressful time for T's to molt, but they're generally not that easy to stress "out of course" when they molt in my experience. Some even does it succesfully in the mail while transported.

RiPz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T was a mature male so no moulting to be seen from him but since then i got 2 juvies and a couple of slings, both my juvies have moulted since i've had them (one yesterday infact) and i saw both!.. guess i'm lucky - both had finished the entire process pretty quick... under an hour for both.

but yeah, first time i saw it thought "crap, its stressed / dying".

it is one of the coolest feats of nature i've ever seen anyway :p